ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Q9 - Challenge can be an important

by ohthatpatrick Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:24 pm

This is a Principle Example question, which means the test provides us with a Principle and then we have to select which answer choice best embodies the Principle.

Here, the Principle is that challenge can provide self-knowledge; paying attention to one's physical/emotional reactions to challenge provides insight into one's weaknesses.

As we read the answer choices, we should examine whether the answer "checks off" the various components mentioned:
- someone is challenged
- she pays attention to her physical/emotional reactions
- she gains insight into her weaknesses

(A) looks pretty good. We definitely have a challenge and the potential to learn something from it. Is "understanding why the memory lapse occurred" a great fit for "paying attention to his/her physical/emotional reactions"? Maybe not, but I'd keep it for now.

(B) don't see any challenge being mentioned. Get rid of it.

(C) don't see any challenge being mentioned. Get rid of it.

(D) don't see any challenge being mentioned. 'Competition' is close, but not the same thing. You can win a competition without being challenged. There's also no aspect of gaining insight into weaknesses or analyzing one's own reaction to being challenged. Get rid of it.

(E) Public speaking is the challenge. Is someone studying her reactions to the challenge of public speaking and gaining insight into her weaknesses? No. She's just being admired for courage and feeling good about herself for doing something challenging.

It looks like (A) is the strongest fit, and indeed it is the correct answer.

shirando21
Thanks Received: 16
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q9 - Challenge can be an important

by shirando21 Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 pm

still a little confused btw A and E.

the argument talks about to challenge can gain useful insights into their own weaknesses.

I thought the memory lapse during a difficult performance is some kind of accident instead of weakness.

still can not be convinced to eliminate E. Is E missing out the pay attention to how they react part?

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:15 pm

shirando21 Wrote:still a little confused btw A and E.

the argument talks about to challenge can gain useful insights into their own weaknesses.

I thought the memory lapse during a difficult performance is some kind of accident instead of weakness.

still can not be convinced to eliminate E. Is E missing out the pay attention to how they react part?

E is not a good answer due to it neglecting to tell us how the person gains insight into their weakness.

It is a rather small leap to judge a mental lapse as a weakness.

sue.liushuang
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by sue.liushuang Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:26 am

ohthatpatrick Wrote:This is a Principle Example question, which means the test provides us with a Principle and then we have to select which answer choice best embodies the Principle.

Here, the Principle is that challenge can provide self-knowledge; paying attention to one's physical/emotional reactions to challenge provides insight into one's weaknesses.

As we read the answer choices, we should examine whether the answer "checks off" the various components mentioned:
- someone is challenged

(A) looks pretty good. We definitely have a challenge and the potential to learn something from it. Is "understanding why the memory lapse occurred" a great fit for "paying attention to his/her physical/emotional reactions"? Maybe not, but I'd keep it for now.

(D) don't see any challenge being mentioned. 'Competition' is close, but not the same thing. You can win a competition without being challenged. There's also no aspect of gaining insight into weaknesses or analyzing one's own reaction to being challenged. Get rid of it.

(E) Public speaking is the challenge. Is someone studying her reactions to the challenge of public speaking and gaining insight into her weaknesses? No. She's just being admired for courage and feeling good about herself for doing something challenging.

Dear ohthatpatrick,

Thank you for your post.

I understand why B-E are out, still I don't see why A is correct. As you stated, "understanding why the memory lapse occurred" maybe not conform with "pay attention to they react"... Like some answers are out for lacking some element, like lacking a challenge, why is A correct then given it lacks a reaction?

Looking forward to your reply!

roflcoptersoisoi
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by roflcoptersoisoi Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:27 pm

sue.liushuang Wrote:
ohthatpatrick Wrote:This is a Principle Example question, which means the test provides us with a Principle and then we have to select which answer choice best embodies the Principle.

- someone is challenged

Dear ohthatpatrick,

Thank you for your post.

I understand why B-E are out, still I don't see why A is correct. As you stated, "understanding why the memory lapse occurred" maybe not conform with "pay attention to they react"... Like some answers are out for lacking some element, like lacking a challenge, why is A correct then given it lacks a reaction?

Looking forward to your reply!

The challenge in question for A is the difficult performance and the reaction is the memory lapse.
This answer choice says the pianist should not have an entirely negative view of the memory lapse that occurred during a difficult performance. This is because by paying attention to her reaction (by paying attention and scrutinizing why the memory lapse occurred) to the challenge (the difficult performance) she can better prepare for future performances. Indeed, "a challenge being an important source of self knowledge" is not explicitly mentioned in this answer choice but, it is implied at the beginning when the author mentions that a pianist shouldn't have a negative view of the memory lapse that occurred during the performance. As mentioned in the MLSAT explanation, if something is a source of self knowledge we can reasonably assume that it's not necessarily negative . Not ideal but it's the best we got. I shied away from this answer choice but after confidently eliminating all the other answer choices I chose this one.