frankdio
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q8 - In jazz history, there have been

by frankdio Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:59 am

The correct answer is D.

I found this answer choice surprisingly weak for a principle question... I ended up picking B. Lol twice actually, first timed and then again as I was reviewing my PT.

I can understand D postmortem. But, it bothers me that the nerds would label the trait of, no striking musical ideas, a weakness....

Ahh, I get it now as I'm writing it out.

B is way too strong and not goldilocks enough. Scope is off and there is no suff/necc language in the stimulus

I guess they induced me to overlook D by throwing me off with their unexpected choice of language--weakness--to describe a trait. I kept looking back at a description of the pianists as gifted and masterful--in a way tricking me to kill D prematurely...

Now Im rambling but essentially, the principle is:

because some people have a characteristic they don't do something cool

but this characteristic and the right ingredients allows them to do something cool

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q8 - In jazz history, there have been

by bbirdwell Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Sort of....

Amazing how trying to write and explain your thought process can make it all clear, eh?

The key word for me here is "led."

Here's the argument, in a nutshell:
1. gifted, with no ideas --> did not lead sessions

2. for the same reason, added masterful touches to sessions led by others who had ideas

(A) eliminate! "recognition" is not part of this argument.
(B) eliminate! You're right, no necc/suff language in the argument, and "any great work" is too broad -- we're only talking about pianists and jazz recordings.
(C) eliminate! way too broad, plus out of scope -- we don't know whether or not the pianists mentioned had forceful personalities.
(D) yeah! Weakness in the "leading a session" setting, strength in the "following someone else's lead" setting.
(E) eliminate! Way too broad, plus "great success" is too extreme.

Hope that helps! Thanks for posting!
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm