jrany12
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

Q7 - Although instinct enables organisms

by jrany12 Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Could somebody please explain why the answer to this question is B and not E?
The stimulus states that "no insect brain has yet reached a size capable of providing a sufficiently large number of neurons" (to make complex responses to stimuli). So wouldn't it make sense that brains of insect size or smaller engage in purely instinctual behavior (incapable of making complex responses to stimuli)?

ManhattanPrepLSAT2
Thanks Received: 311
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q7 - Although instinct enables organisms

by ManhattanPrepLSAT2 Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:54 pm

The fact that non-instinctual behavior requires a larger brain does not mean every larger brain must be capable of non-instinctual behavior. (Just because buying a fancy car requires a lot of $ doesn't mean everyone with a lot of money drives an expensive car.) Some of these larger brains can still, for all we know, rely on purely instinctual behavior. Therefore, we can't say that "only" those with small brains behave this way.

(B) is much more sound. We know insects don't have the physical brain size required for non-instinctual behavior, so it must be true they can't engage in it.

jrany12
Thanks Received: 2
Forum Guests

Re: PT 46. S2. Q7 Instinct and Insects

by jrany12 Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:32 pm

"no insect brain has yet reached a size capable of providing a sufficiently large number of neurons"
I took this "capable size" as a threshold size, in which all sizes larger than this either can or not engage in instinctual behavior, but any size below this threshold "capable size" could not. Since there is a threshold size, any size below it is incapable of providing a sufficient number of neurons. Am I over thinking this?
Would it be more accurate to read this statement from the stimulus as "no insect brain has yet reached a size capable of providing a sufficiently large number of neurons" (for insects)? Meaning, conclusions cannot be drawn concerning other organisms, whether they have larger or smaller brains?

chike_eze
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked

Re: Q7 - Instinct and Insects

by chike_eze Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:04 pm

Missed this question because (B) seemed too strong. But I didn't notice the conditional that makes (B) a completely valid inference.

"Brain capable of flexible (non-instinctual) behavior must have a large number of neurons..."
> Not instinctual --> Sufficiently large # neurons
> Not Sufficiently large # neurons --> Instinctual (contra)

"No insect...reached size of sufficiently large number of neurons..."
> Insects --> Not Sufficiently large # neurons

therefore,
Insects --> Instinctual (valid inference)

(B) "Insect exclusively instinctual". Insects --> Instinctual

(A) "elaborate brain mechanisms". Term shift.
(C) "larger brains". Other insects could have larger brains but insufficiently large # neurons.
(D) "large brains". Large brain does not necessarily mean sufficiently large # of neurons.
(E) "Only organisms with less than or equal to insect brain size". Some organism could have a larger brain than the largest insect brain and still not meet the threshold number of neurons required.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

by giladedelman Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:20 am

Yes, good explanation. Put very simply, having a big brain is necessary, but not sufficient, for engaging in non-instinctual behavior.

gilad.bendheim
Thanks Received: 21
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by gilad.bendheim Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:45 am

But why do we have to take for granted that the only two possible behaviors are flexible and instinctual? Perhaps there is a third category that all organisms are capable of, which, if insects had, would make (B) incorrect.

chike_eze
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

by chike_eze Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:34 am

gilad.bendheim Wrote:But why do we have to take for granted that the only two possible behaviors are flexible and instinctual? Perhaps there is a third category that all organisms are capable of, which, if insects had, would make (B) incorrect.

Because this is an in inference question, more specifically, it is a MUST BE TRUE question with a conditional relationship.

Therefore, we can infer based on the sufficient -> necessary conditions in the stimulus.

My Assumption: "Can be properly inferred" = "MUST BE TRUE"

gilad.bendheim
Thanks Received: 21
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by gilad.bendheim Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks. I guess my question is whether (B) can be properly inferred. Based on the stimulas we can infer that
Insects --> ~Large enough brain
and therefore
Insects --> ~ Flexible thinkers.
Answer (B) seems, at least to me, to require another assumption, namely that there is no way to think other than either flexibly or instinctually, so that ~flexible thinker --> EXCLUSIVELY instinctual.

Maybe I'm missing something...

chunsun..b
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by chunsun..b Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:39 pm

The paragraph says: "... noninstinctual (also called flexible) behavior."
So basically, a behavior is either instinctual or flexible, but nothing else, because flexible behavior is noninstinctual behavior by definition.

andreperez7
Thanks Received: 3
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by andreperez7 Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:40 pm

So the prefix "non-" implies a binary relationship?

So, to parallel the stimulus, if I say person A is not a non-knife wielding maniac, then that means she is a knife wielding maniac, correct?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:34 pm

You're taking it a little too far there.

If you say
"person A is not a non-knife wielding maniac"

You cannot infer that
"she is a knife wielding maniac"

Who said she's a maniac at all?

Your example was too complex because you were negating something that had a noun and an adjective.

If I say, "Bob is not [adjective+noun]"
then either Bob is not that adjective, not that noun, or both.

The example here was much simpler.

Binaries always add up to 100%.

Everything is either
instinctual or non-instinctual.

Since the passage gave us permission to equate
"flexible" with "non-instinctual", then we can say

Everything is either
instinctual or flexible

We can't say that everyone is either
a knife-wielding maniac or a non-knife wielding maniac

Because why does everyone have to be a maniac? :)

andreperez7
Thanks Received: 3
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by andreperez7 Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Very good point! :) Thanks for breaking that down in such detail -- I see things much more clearly. The more complex scenario of adjective and noun does bring in more possibilities than the original. I could see the LSAT using something along the lines of my answer as a trap answer for an infer question.

But let me amend that and try once more: Can I say, then, that if you are not apathetic (defined as not caring) then you care?

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Fo' sho.