alovitt
Thanks Received: 0
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

trophy
Most Thankful

Q4

by alovitt Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:14 pm

Could someone explain to me whose salary N's would be equal to? I don't get this question.

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q4

by timmydoeslsat Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:04 pm

I would not go about answering the question in that manner, there are simply too many options.

So we know that K is first. We are now left with two separate tree diagrams that currently do not interact with one another.

I - F - M - G - J - H

L - N

This question stem asks us what must be false if N shares a salary with exactly one other person.

So, we have this for right now:

L - [N_]

Upon looking at my tree diagrams, I see that it will only test the first tree line. If it did not, it would be an obvious answer such as N sharing salaries with L or N, and we can expect a more difficult situation than that.

This one will be won in the answer choices.

A) I less than L

Sure, I could have that. It would require I and N sharing the salaries, but it would work.

B) J less than L

This one is definitely doable. I could place L at the very beginning of that first tree and have N share salaries with any person down that line.

C) L less than F

This is one is definitely doable. See it with your mind's eye. Can't you see how you can place the L from the second tree somewhere into this first tree:

I - F - M - G - J - H

So, L less than F means [F-L]

So I can put L right behind F:

I - F - L - M - G - J - H

I can then choose between MGJH for N to share salaries.

D) L less than H

No way!

Look at my first tree:

I - F - M - G - J - H

If I have L less than H [H-L]...I get this:

I - F - M - G - J - H - L - N

N cannot share with anybody at that point! This is our answer as it must be false.

stacksdoe
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Re: Q4

by stacksdoe Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:56 am

Another way to also look at this question is by analyzing where L- N can be placed and still have N paired with someone else, doing this will indicate, or you should notice, that they're only a couple places that L or N can not go if N is paired with another salary. Namely, N can not be higher then I (who would be the other salary) and L can not be less then H, for who would N be paired with. Because the answer choice must not be true, look for these two cases, and sure enough (D) states the latter.