ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q4 - Carol Morris wants to own

by ohthatpatrick Fri Dec 31, 1999 8:00 pm

What does the Question Stem tell us?
Explain Discrepancy (it looks like Strengthen until we see we're reading a paradox)

Break down the Stimulus:
Given that "Azedcorp owns a majority of THE DAILY and has stubbornly refused to sell", How could it be that "Morris WILL soon own THE DAILY"?

Any prephrase?
I'm not a stock expert, but if more shares were created and Morris bought those up, then maybe her number of shares could become the majority, even if Azedcorp kept all of theirs. Alternatively, mabye there's a reason Azedcorp would change its mind and agree to sell some shares.

Correct answer:
E

Answer choice analysis:
A) Who cares. We only care whether Azedcorp will sell its shares of the Daily (or if more shares will be created for Morris)

B) Maybe. This provides some incentive for Azedcorp selling its shares. However, is it clear that this extra money is enough to change Azedcorp's mind? (Also, it's possible that Azedcorp bought these shares many years ago. So ANYONE offering a respectable amount for the shares would be offering much more than what Azedcorp paid for them)

C) Doesn't help us explain why Azedcorp would change its mind. From what we know, there's no interest in selling shares.

D) Doesn't matter if Morris is #2. There's still no way to achieve a majority unless Azedcorp changes its mind and starts selling shares.

E) Sounds good! This is a the "reason Azedcorp would change its mind and agree to sell some shares".

Takeaway/Pattern: Though this looks like a Strengthen question, we're not strengthening an argument/reasoning, so you shouldn't be reading for an argument core. If you're strengthening a claim / prediction / hypothesis, you really just need some independent evidence that leans in favor of that idea being true. Here, we need something to overcome the counterweight of Azedcorp's stubborn refusal to sell its shares.

#officialexplanation

LSAT-Chang
Thanks Received: 38
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Q4 - Carol Morris wants to own

by LSAT-Chang Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:59 pm

I was debating between (C) and (E) and ultimately went with (C) because I thought it would support the conclusion that the share would actually be going to MORRIS and not someone else. Does this make sense? The conclusion states that MORRIS will soon be the majority owner of The Daily, but what if there are other people? Having (C) could strengthen the idea that there are no other competitors so it would actually be going to morris!

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:25 pm

changsoyeon Wrote:I was debating between (C) and (E) and ultimately went with (C) because I thought it would support the conclusion that the share would actually be going to MORRIS and not someone else. Does this make sense? The conclusion states that MORRIS will soon be the majority owner of The Daily, but what if there are other people? Having (C) could strengthen the idea that there are no other competitors so it would actually be going to morris!

I definitely understand your thoughts on this one.

It does say that that "the only obstacle to Morris's amassing a majority of these shares is Azedcorp."

And we know that this corp has continually refused to sell.

(E) gives us information that Azedcorp is probably going to have to give up its shares SOON. That was the only obstacle to Morris.

(C) still leaves us with the problem of Azedcorp refusing to sell. Why would they predict that Morris will SOON by a majority holder.

rfojas11
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by rfojas11 Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 am

Could someone explain why (b) is incorrect?
I can see how (e) is a stronger answer because it would force Azedcorp to give up its holdings...but if Morris offered more for the shares than Azedcorp paid for, does that contradict the premise that Azedcorp refused to sell at all?

Thank you in advance!

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:18 pm

rfojas11 Wrote:Could someone explain why (b) is incorrect?
I can see how (e) is a stronger answer because it would force Azedcorp to give up its holdings...but if Morris offered more for the shares than Azedcorp paid for, does that contradict the premise that Azedcorp refused to sell at all?

Thank you in advance!

(B) This does not contradict what the stimulus says. It would be consistent for Azedcorp to refuse the offer even if the offer was great. We know they have been refusing to sell. Maybe there is some kind of sentimental thing going on there with the company?

(E) is the answer we want. We know the only obstacle to obtaining what Carol wants is Azedcorp's lack of selling the shares. For the industry predictors to believe Carol will get what she wants, we want to see this obstacle be removed. A forced sale is perfect.

rfojas11
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by rfojas11 Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:02 pm

Thank you for your explanation. :) (e) stands out as the better answer...(b) was a little tricky for me but I have to remember that regardless Azedcorp refused to sell according to the premise.

Yit HanS103
Thanks Received: 2
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by Yit HanS103 Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:26 pm

Hi,
I'm only confused with the question stem.
"which one of the following if true, provides THE MOST SUPPORT for the industry analysts' prediction?"
this sounds to me like MOST STRONGLY SUPPORT QUESTION, and I answered as that.
Please, can anyone tell me if there are any major differences btw the two? I just don't want to get confused in the future with a question like this, and I answer it as a mss q. and get it wrong.

thank you!