shirando21
Thanks Received: 16
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q3 - The qwerty keyboard became

by shirando21 Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:14 pm

Can anyone explain why C is incorrect and E is correct?

in the argument, it says it is not practical to switch. I thought, it does not mean that qwerty is more practical than Dvorak keyboard, it is only about if it is worthwhile to do the switch...

and, this topic obviously appeared in an early test, can anyone find the reference?

demetri.blaisdell
Thanks Received: 161
LSAT Geek

Re: Q3 - The qwerty keyboard became

by demetri.blaisdell Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks for posting, shirando21. I'm not sure what you were asking about with respect to a reference to an earlier test. If you mean there was a similar question, feel free to post it if you find it. Now for answering the other question you asked: this is essentially a principle (support) question so we need to find the core and analyze the logic.

Costs of switching (time, money, and frustration) outweigh benefits of faster typing ----> Not practical to switch to Dvorak keyboard

Instead of plugging a gap like we normally do, we just need to extract a principle from the argument. (E) gives a reasonable summary. The fact that we are already using the QWERTY keyboard everywhere is the reason we shouldn't switch to another, better keyboard.

The wrong answers:

(A) is out of scope. Who said the Dvorak keyboard is inaccurate?

(B) is contradicted. The QWERTY keyboard (which we settled on) is actually less efficient than the Dvorak keyboard.

(C) is tempting, I agree. But they told us cost (in time and money) and frustration were the reasons. There is nothing in the stimulus about people disliking change. I'd probably keep it for now because it's a little like frustration but it's really not a match. It really doesn't capture the idea of costs to society.

(D) is either out of scope or contradicted. It's out of scope because emotional costs weren't really discussed. But even if frustration is an emotion, the emotional and financial costs are on the same side (both point towards keeping the QWERTY keyboard).

I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if you have any more problems with this question or if you find the earlier reference.

Demetri