Q3

vredd418
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q3

by vredd418 Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:36 pm

Is Q3 d wrong because part of the overalls MUST be yellow, while e is correct because the overalls COULD have violet (or red)?

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q3

by timmydoeslsat Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:16 pm

D is incorrect due to it being the case that the overalls cannot be at least in part yellow.

If any part of the jacket is green, what do we know?

Consider if the jacket could be green as one single color. It could not, right? You then would be unable to have a color in common with the overalls, as green is not a color available for the overalls.

So we now know that for the jacket to be in part green, that it has to be plaid, which triggers the concept of it having all three colors used.

J: G R V

This now means, according to the rules, that the overalls must be a single color. We have 3 colors to choose from: Y R V

J: G R V

O: R/V

The overalls could either be entirely red or entirely violet. It could not be yellow as then it would not have a color in common with the plaid jacket.

ca_teran1
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by ca_teran1 Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Why can't J also have the possibility of two colors and not just one or three...why can't J be gv and O has V so V is in common?

J O
possible:
_ ____

__ __ ___ ___

__ __ __

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:21 pm

The first rule is prohibiting what you're describing.

The jacket/overalls have to either be solid (1 color) or plaid (more than 1 color).

BUT, the first two rules specifically require that when the jacket is more than 1 color, it is exactly 3 colors.

(When the overalls are more than 1, they are exactly 2 colors).

So it would break rule 1 to ever have the jacket with exactly 2 colors.

Does that make sense?

ca_teran1
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by ca_teran1 Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out!!

I do get the overall rule that 2 is the max.
When you said:
(When the overalls are more than 1, they are exactly 2 colors).

But I still think that the Jacket could be two colors, and not just 1 or three. There is the exception that if the overall is 2 colors then that makes the jacket be one color and has to be either red or violet to have a common color with overall. Green in this case is out.

To me the rule does say this:
The jacket/overalls have to either be solid (1 color) or plaid (more than 1 color).
But if the jacket supposedly is plaid then, it can be green and (violet or red), or violet and (red or green), or red and (violet or green). And this would make the overall be have either red or violet in common not both and option of yellow.

So my question is where do you get this inference when you say"
BUT, the first two rules specifically require that when the jacket is more than 1 color, it is exactly 3 colors."

This is why I took forever to finish this game and get it wrong.