Laura Damone
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q25 - Most of the members of

by Laura Damone Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:36 pm

Question Type:
Sufficient Assumption (Fill in the Blank)

Stimulus Breakdown:
Conclusion: Some of the government employees who work in the Hanson Building are computer programmers.

Premise: Most members of Bargaining Unit Number 17 of the government employees' union are computer programmers.

Answer Anticipation:
Oooo, quantifier overlap in a Sufficient Assumption question that's also fill in the blank… intriguing! I diagram quantifiers for overlap questions:

BUN17 --most--> CP

----------------------------
HB --some--CP

I know that Most + Most = Some if the two Most statements have the same first condition, so I'm gonna prephrase
BUN17 --most--> HB. But I also know that a Most + an All = a Some under the same circumstances, so BUN17 ---> HB is also an option.

Correct answer:
D

Answer choice analysis:
(A) Nope, we’re not worried about the ones who aren't programmers.

(B) Nope, we're not worried about the executive committee either.

(C) Reversal!

(D) A match! If 51% of the members are programmers, and 51% work in the Hanson Building, there's at least a 1% overlap. In other words, it guarantees that some of the government employees who work in the Hanson Building are programmers.

(E) Irrelevant.

Takeaway/Pattern:
Quantifier overlap questions test the same concepts over and over. The most common? Most + Most = Some. Remember that to make this overlap, the two Most statements must draw from the same whole. If most of the pizza has peperoni and most of it has olives, at least some of it has both. If most of a pizza has pesto and most of a different pizza has chicken, you can't infer a thing.

Laura Damone
LSAT Content & Curriculum Lead | Manhattan Prep