b91302310
Thanks Received: 13
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q24 - The wall is supported

by b91302310 Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Could any one explain what the difference between (A) and (D) is ?

Thanks.

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q24 - The wall is supported

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:17 am

Thanks for the question!

Here's a question that I would ask myself if I were stuck between two answer choices a on match the reasoning question. Usually by this point, I've already been able to narrow it down to just 2 (maybe 3) answer choices based on structure.

The next thing i would check is the validity of the argument in the stimulus. The conclusion in the stimulus follows - it's a good argument. So the conclusion in the correct answer should also follow - it too should be a good argument.

If you compare answer choices (A) and (D), you should notice that it is a valid argument, whereas answer choice (D) is an invalid argument. Just because the conductor specified that a harp should be played, does not mean that it will be.

For answer choice (A), the argument establishes that nothing else could have made the conductor grimace, and we know that the conductor did in fact grimace. So this is a valid argument. Since answer choice (A) matches, it's our answer.

Does that answer your question?

nflamel69
Thanks Received: 16
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q24 - The wall is supported

by nflamel69 Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Is it right to see that there is a shift in meaning from a harp must be played to one of the players must be able to play it? Because I can certainly see there are other possibilites that a harp could be included besides letting a player play it :/