wj097
Thanks Received: 0
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q24 - people were asked in a survey

by wj097 Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:20 am

I am confused as to how the author arrives at a conclusion from 2 premise that seems to be totally not related...i.e., how does the author jump from "people respond that they feel like 75% of their real age" to saying that this would lead us to interpret "48 would feel like child"... I don't find anything ambiguous from the survey question that can lead us to accept such example cited.

Thx

sumukh09
Thanks Received: 139
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Q24 - people were asked in a survey

by sumukh09 Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Hey

If people at 48 felt like they were 75 percent of their age then that would mean they felt like they were 36 (.75 x 48). BUT if they felt like they were 36 and people in the survey said they felt like they were 75% their real age, then that would mean they felt like they were 27 ie) 36 x 0.75... and so on up until they felt like they were a child.

The author basically misconstrues the question being posed and assumes that the survey question suggested that the individuals would feel 75 percent of their age indefinitely; but feeling 75 percent of your "real" age is different than feeling 75 percent of the age you feel like you're at.

Nina
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by Nina Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:00 pm

i don't really understand what A says. what does "hypothetical earlier responses of a single individual" refer to?

Many thanks!

tommywallach
Thanks Received: 468
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

by tommywallach Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:01 pm

Hey Nina,

"Hypothetical" here means we aren't actually talking about actual responses made by people. You can see that where it says: "For example, suppose it meant that a 48-year-old man..." This is just an example, but it never happened, so it's hypothetical. As for the "individual" part, they are talking about "a [single] 48 year-old man". So that's an individual.

Hope that helps!

-t
Tommy Wallach
Manhattan LSAT Instructor
twallach@manhattanprep.com

ttunden
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ttunden Tue May 27, 2014 4:01 pm

Here is my thought process for this question.

I identified it as a method of reasoning question.

From the stim we can see there was a survey conducted. Almost all the people that took it said they were 75% of their real age.

Author says there is a problem. Uses counter example of one individual and applies the results of the survey to the individual in a temporal sense.

SO the method of reasoning or argumentation that I see going on here is that the author uses that example and assumes that they always feel 75% of their age when it was just a survey asking the people once. Now, this is my real time thinking ie what I would be thinking in a test taking situation. Especially since this is the last Q, this is sufficient for me and I would from here on hit the answer choices and see if anything matches up.

A - yeah this looks pretty good. Lets see what the other choices have to say.

B - well....... not sure about reinterpreting what CERTAIN people actually said. Only uses example of one individual, a 48 year old man. Not sure about the most reasonable part either. This is enough for me to eliminate.

C - there is no generalization occurring. I am going to eliminate this.

D - Not trying to prove that at least one of the statements i false. I am going to eliminate this.

E - No. I am reading this and I'm a little confused but overall, it didn't match my understanding of the argument core and I don't think this is occurring. So I will eliminate.

Once again, I was fairly brief but this would match my real time thinking. If you want me to elaborate more or want more information, feel free to send me a pm.