Q21

AnnaC659
Thanks Received: 3
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Q21

by AnnaC659 Mon May 21, 2018 3:47 am

This set of questions really got me during timed practice. I went through them again with the diagram suggested in diagram page and managed to get all of the questions right. But I still took quite some time to go through the answer choices, mostly thinking in my head whether they could be true or not rather than writing the process down. So I am looking for ways to improve speed/efficiency on this kind of questions set.

So please, can someone go through the remaining Q21-23 that haven't been posted?

Thank you in advance!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q21

by ohthatpatrick Mon May 21, 2018 1:46 pm

To keep the forum organized, you'd have to create a post for Q22 and Q23 if you also want a run through of those.

To give this all context, though, realize that this game was a terrible struggle for many (if not most of us). So when we calmly reason through a "best practices" tactic later, it's a little beside the point.

We're only going to see THIS game (a snowflake that doesn't resemble other games) once and we're going to have to do it under timed pressure with whatever time we've left ourselves.

Thus, it's more important that you're thinking to yourself, "How can I get better at ordinary games in order to leave myself at least 12 minutes for this game?"
than to think, "How can I get better at this once-in-a-lifetime game that I'll never see again?"

================

For Q21, the condition is that R needs to get rid of its class 1 and its class 3 and only have class 2.

To get rid of a class 1, you have to switch one c1 for two c2's.

Could R trade with S? No, because S only has one c2.
So R will have to trade with T, to swap G for two of KMO.

Hence, we know that R will have two of KMO, but we don't care which two.

To get rid of a class 3, you have to switch one c2 for two c3's.

Could R trade with S? Maybe. R could get L and S would get YZ.
Could R trade with T? Maybe. Since R is is only taking two of KMO, T would still have one more thing left that it could trade for YZ.

So we know that R ends up with two of KMO,
and we know that R ends up with either L or the third member of KMO.

R will have two c2's when this is done.
S will still have a c1, and it will either still have its c2 or it'll have two c3's.
T will have a c1, and it will either have none of its c2's and two c3's, or it will have exactly one of its c2's.

(A) YES! Since R needs to trade one c1 for two c2's in order to get rid of its c1, it HAS to trade with T. And that will give T a c1 property.

(B) T might have gotten rid of all three of KMO, or it might have gotten rid of two of the three. Either way, we can't be sure it has M.

(C) No, S might have zero c2s, since we might have R and S trade (L for YZ).

(D) No, S doesn't have to do that trade. R can make that YZ trade with T instead.

(E) Not necessarily. Once T acquires G, it could trade with S and they could swap G and F.

As we worked through the initial implications of the condition, we should have been aware that we weren't really sure which letters were ending up where. That makes answers like (B) and (E) very dubious.

It looked more like all we were doing was figuring out who the trading partners would be, so general characteristics like those in (A), (C), and (D) are more likely to be something we know.

Since we didn't know whether R would trade YZ with S or with T, we don't know much about S or about class 3.

The only definitive thing we knew was that R would have to trade away its c1 to T for two c2's.