chike_eze
Thanks Received: 94
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked

Q2

by chike_eze Sun May 22, 2011 4:35 am

This is my third time reviewing this game, but for some reason I get stuck on #2. I can't seem to figure out an efficient process to arrive at the right answer. I eventually get to the right answer, but that's after I've gone through several conditionals and a few mistakes along the way (3 minutes wasted).

How would you attack this question (and similar questions) during test time?

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 2 times.

Re: Q2

by noah Wed May 25, 2011 5:41 pm

Well, if S and G must both be on odd-numbered slots, which slots could that be? The only ones are 1, 3, and 5.

We'll start with S. We can be confident that S can go in slot 3 since one of the rules limits slot 3 to either S or W, but there's a slight chance it can't. But, let's focus on 1 and 5.

If S is in slot 1, we have L in 2, W in 3 (W or S must go in slot 3). Where will the G go? Must be in slot 5, and P must follow in slot six (G -- P rule). That leaves no room for R (R = 1 or 6 rule). Thus, S can't go in slot 1.

Can S go in slot 5? That puts L in slot 6. R must go in 1. Where does our G go? It can't go in slot 3 (3 = S or W rule). Thus, S can't go in slot 5.

So, S must go in slot 3. G must go in either 1 or 5. Thus, we have:

1: G/
2:
3: S
4: L
5: G/
6:

P (after G). R in 1/5 and W undetermined.

Off to the answer choices:

(A) P can't ever go in slot 1.

(B) W seems fine in 2. Confirm by drawing out and pull the trigger (if this answer were at (D), and that looked good, with (A) - (C) eliminated, I would simply go and eliminate (E)..

(C) L must be on 4!

(D) L must be on 4!

(E) If W is in slot 6, we can't put G in 5 because there'd be no space for G, and we can't put it in 1, because R has to go there. Eliminate.

If you struggled with this question, I would guess you didn't figure out that S must be in 3.

tbhaga
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by tbhaga Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:19 am

noah Wrote:If S is in slot 1, we have L in 2, W in 3 (W or S must go in slot 3). Where will the G go? Must be in slot 5, and P must follow in slot six (G -- P rule). That leaves no room for R (R = 1 or 5 rule).

Isn't it R must go in either 1 or 6 not 1 or 5?
"And now, farewell kindness, humanity, and gratitude! Farewell to all the feelings that expand the heart! I have been heaven's substitute to recompense the good, now the god of vengeance yields to me his power to punish the wicked!"-Dumas

ManhattanPrepLSAT1
Thanks Received: 1909
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Ooops! You are correct tbhaga, and I'm certain that's what Noah meant! Thanks for catching the typo, it's been corrected above.

For those of you who like pictures, I just worked this one out on the board...