Q19

sharp.angela.m
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q19

by sharp.angela.m Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:16 am

Hi! Could someone please post the most efficient way to arrive at the correct answer for this question? I'm not sure that it is to do the three frames laid out in the diagram section of this game. I have answered each other question with out the elaborate frames, and at this time, it would take me a long time to figure out the three frames. Should I be pushing myself on frames, or is it smarter/more efficient to look for other ways of solving the questions?

Sincerely,

Angela

mlbrandow
Thanks Received: 17
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q19

by mlbrandow Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:58 am

First, you should NOT be pushing yourself for frames!

Frames, while sometimes highly useful, can also add stupendously to your overall game time without yielding any additional overall information. Often the time you save on questions is just transferred to the time spent on frames, but with the notable exception that you aren't considering the questions at that time! And then there's a chance you won't even be questioned on the work you spent!

This game has a great initial setup that can really crush this game if you're flexible enough to not can it in any specific game type. On it's face, it's just a basic linear game, but it does have some relative ordering elements about it (rules 4, 5, 6).

H must actually precede at least three variables. Can you see it?

By rule 4, we know that H must precede at least two variables (unknown and J), and by rule 6, we know that H must also precede O because J must precede O.

This means that the latest H can finish is fifth! The question is solved simply from the initial diagram, and without frames.

In fact, there is no more efficient way to solve this question in general. Whenever you get a variable placement question (A can(not) be ranked #), always look for the rules that restrict the variable first.

Good luck!