Q19

andrewgong01
Thanks Received: 61
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q19

by andrewgong01 Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:06 pm

I am not sure what the best approach is for these types of questions in dual passages.

I am unsure with the second part of choice "D" on how we know B uses it as a contrast for acquiring insider infomation.
From my understanding, the quoted lines in B are meant to show that if you are successful in the market then it was only by skills +info. And in a transparent market, everyone has the same info. But I am not quite seeing how the answer choice links it as a contrast to insider infomation.

I was also unsure about Choice "B".
In Choice B I think the description for A is fair because the following paragraph then said 'look, this is good, it allows stock prices to better reflect the true value of the stock with all the possible infomation'. For the description for Passage B under Choice B, I did not like the words when I chose it but I thought the conditional sentence in lines 40-42 was trying to get across some necessary condition.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q19

by ohthatpatrick Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Question Type:
Purpose of Information

Answer expected in lines/paragraph:
?

Any prephrase?
In local context, these two sentences agree with each other. They're each attesting to the idea that the stock market is meant to reward people who carefully and correctly analyze available market data.

If we were to try to connect these to the respective authors' main points, we might say that Psg A would include 'insider information' in that analysis and Psg B would exclude 'insider information' from that analysis.

Correct answer:
D

Answer choice analysis:

(A) I wouldn't make it to the 2nd half of this answer. Psg A is not characterizing thoughtful analysis of market data as "unnecessary".

(B) I wouldn't make it to the 2nd half. Psg A is not saying that "thoughtful analysis of available data" is how we make up for a lack of transparency. Psg A doesn't even establish that there IS a 'lack of transparency'.

(C) "Unfair"? Definitely not. Not making it to 2nd half.

(D) YES! (and wow I lucked out with that prephrase … ) The two statements are essentially in agreement with each other, which makes it surprising that the authors' main points are not.

(E) "Only"? Nope. Not making it to 2nd half.

Takeaway/Pattern: That was a weird question … hard to know what they were going for, especially since the two lines are related in the sense of having nearly equivalent meaning. Luckily, the 1st half of the four wrong answers was so off that it wasn't even necessary to read most of these answer choices.

#officialexplanation

SilviaL753
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q19

by SilviaL753 Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:40 pm

I was down to (B) and (D), and ended up with (B).

I was hesitated to pick (B) because it mentions transparency, which was not explicitly mentioned in passage A. However, my thinking process was that passage A implicitly indicates that there is a lack of transparency in the stoke market. (Or there is no need for the author to encourage insider information to be circulated in the market.) Thus, line 11-14 can be said to be an example of "compensating for the market's lack of transparency."

Am I trying too hard to help out this answer choice?

Also, for dual passages, can we say it is a red flag when a concept clearly showed up in only passage A is put in an answer choice talking about passage B? (like what happened here.)