Q19

s.tofighbakhsh
Thanks Received: 6
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q19

by s.tofighbakhsh Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 pm

This really was quite the cruel trick by the LSAT. I'm just going to use this space to lay out my process, in the hopes that it will stick the next time I'm up against the clock and a problem like this.

There are many trade options and only ONE of them has to be in the right answer. So focus on one of the companies, and see if anything illegal happened. I focused on RP just because it was first. Either RP has:

1) G and YZ as it started with (didn't trade)
2) F but NOT G (1-1 trade)
3) two of K/M/O but NOT G (1-2(2) trade)
4) L but NOT YZ (1-2(3) trade)

So many possibilities for an Orientation! Devilish.

A) is eliminated because RP can't have F AND G after one trade
B) is eliminated because YZ can't be traded for two class 2 buildings (K and O)
C) is....OK. Defer.
D) is eliminated because YZ can only be traded as a pair, so RP can't end up with M and Y together.
E) is...OK. No RP trade here.

So let's check on SC and T in answer C). T has its original cast, and S seems to have done the L-YZ trade with RP. That seems...ok. But this game is so wild I'm not confident! Check on E.

Somehow in E), S gave F, a class 1, away to T, and got only one class 2, O, in return. That looks like S got seriously ripped off; you can only trade a class 1 for another class 1 or TWO class 2s! Eliminate.

Is this a realistic process for a time crunch? In my case: hell no. I cut and run like a spooked animal. If there's a better and faster way to attack this Orientation, I'd love to know!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q19

by ohthatpatrick Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:07 pm

I mean ... there are other routes to the same correct answer, but I don't think any are significantly superior to yours.

This game is just a nightmare. You certainly can't approach this "Orientation" question in our typical "Take one rule and see where it's broken".

You need the initial property assignments visually in front of you, so that you can translate the information in each answer choice into actual moves to see whether any rules were broken.

That's so much more labor intensive than any normal Orientation question that the correct response here is just :evil:

franmald9224
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by franmald9224 Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:22 pm

I'm wondering what your diagrams would look like for this game (and all the other games for this section, but mainly this one).

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:11 pm

This is the thread for Q19.

If you ever want to see a diagram (or see if one has been posted), go to the root page for that test / that game, and DIAGRAM should be one of the threads.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/lsat/foru ... 17882.html

Feel free to add thoughts/questions about the diagram on that thread, if you have any.