Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Q14

by hyewonkim89 Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:50 am

Hi MLSAT,

I find (B) to be very tempting because I thought the passage was discrediting the assertion at the beginning, but luckily (C) was a lot stronger to me.

But will someone help me eliminate the wrong answers?

Thanks in advance!

rinagoldfield
Thanks Received: 309
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q14

by rinagoldfield Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Great question, hyewonkim89!

(A) is unsupported. There aren’t really two hypotheses. Rather, the author seeks to poke holes in the conventional hypothesis, and suggest that the conventional pundits should do more research before jumping to any conclusions.

(B) is tempting... but what evidence does the author discredit here? On the contrary, the author points out that the conventional pundits have NO evidence (lines 9-17).

(D) is unsupported. The author doesn’t criticize TWO disciplines; he suggests that communications researchers should be more like anthropologists (lines 37-40).

(E) is out of scope. The author isn’t comparing two views; he’s undermining the conventional one.

(C) is supported. The author argues that communications researchers should adopt the "empirical approach" (lines 37-40).

keonheecho
Thanks Received: 0
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by keonheecho Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:35 pm

rinagoldfield Wrote:Great question, hyewonkim89!

(A) is unsupported. There aren’t really two hypotheses. Rather, the author seeks to poke holes in the conventional hypothesis, and suggest that the conventional pundits should do more research before jumping to any conclusions.

(B) is tempting... but what evidence does the author discredit here? On the contrary, the author points out that the conventional pundits have NO evidence (lines 9-17).

(D) is unsupported. The author doesn’t criticize TWO disciplines; he suggests that communications researchers should be more like anthropologists (lines 37-40).

(E) is out of scope. The author isn’t comparing two views; he’s undermining the conventional one.

(C) is supported. The author argues that communications researchers should adopt the "empirical approach" (lines 37-40).

Hi Rina,
So for (B) is it fair to say that evidence is being offered to discredit the method, rather than discrediting the evidence? Thank you

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 641
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by maryadkins Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Sounds good to me! :)