Q11

XiaoranZ794
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Q11

by XiaoranZ794 Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:49 am

Would you please elaborate a little bit on this question? I quickly eliminated A, C and E. The problem with A lies in "unique", and E is contradicted to the author. The last sentence of the passage seems to go against C. Then I hesitate to choose between B and D. Though I don't think B looks like a correct answer, I cannot find any support for D or any evidence that B is definitely wrong.

Misti Duvall
Thanks Received: 13
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q11

by Misti Duvall Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:05 pm

Sure!

We can eliminate (B) because of "usually very simplistic." The passage talks about films of the classical era focusing on story, but there's no support for the idea that the author thinks the technical elements were simplistic.

(D) is supported by the last two sentences of the passage. It's fair to assume the author would likely agree that audiences accept conventions through repeated exposure, rather than academic analysis. The author notes that watching a film is a perceptual, not academic, experience and that knowledge of genre is acquired (presumably through repeated viewing).

Hope this helps.
LSAT Instructor | Manhattan Prep

XiaoranZ794
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by XiaoranZ794 Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:49 am

Misti Duvall Wrote:Sure!

We can eliminate (B) because of "usually very simplistic." The passage talks about films of the classical era focusing on story, but there's no support for the idea that the author thinks the technical elements were simplistic.

(D) is supported by the last two sentences of the passage. It's fair to assume the author would likely agree that audiences accept conventions through repeated exposure, rather than academic analysis. The author notes that watching a film is a perceptual, not academic, experience and that knowledge of genre is acquired (presumably through repeated viewing).

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your explanation! But I still have some confusion about why the "perceptual experience" infers "repeated viewing". Is it because of the phrase "eventually come to accept" in line 56?

Misti Duvall
Thanks Received: 13
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by Misti Duvall Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:36 pm

XiaoranZ794 Wrote:
Misti Duvall Wrote:Sure!

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your explanation! But I still have some confusion about why the "perceptual experience" infers "repeated viewing". Is it because of the phrase "eventually come to accept" in line 56?

Sure! I would probably focus more on genre being acquired, presumably through repeated viewing. However, it's often tough to find 100% support for every correct answer in a passage, which is why it's so important to work wrong to right. After all, the question is asking about which answer the author would be most likely to agree. So we don't need 100% support.
LSAT Instructor | Manhattan Prep