Q1

jennifer
Thanks Received: 0
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

PT49, S3, Q1, P1

by jennifer Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:53 pm

1. Why is A correct? The word "those" threw me off...if the stem had used the word "judges" rather than those, I would have found it more attractive...those could mean the jury, it could mean everyone, anyone?

2. What is wrong with answer choice C.

Thank you for your help.

cyruswhittaker
Thanks Received: 107
Forum Guests

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: prep test 49-section3- question 1---computer generated

by cyruswhittaker Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:13 pm

1. A is correct because it expresses the author's main point, found in the last paragraph. The author feels that steps must be taken to avoid the "misuse of this technology in the courtroom" (lines 46-47). In the last paragraph's discussion, notice that the author does not limit it to judges in particular, or really to any certain group. This is why "those involved..." is appropriate; it is necessarily general to encompass the legal community. However, I don't believe that jury would be appropriate here because they are referred to as those who are being affected by the displays, not those who "take advantage" of them.

2. C is wrong because it is unsupported. While the author believes that "practical steps" (line 47) must be taken, nothing is ever indicated about basing "rules" on the "most sophisticated principles of jurisprudence." The author just lists a few practical steps.

giladedelman
Thanks Received: 833
LSAT Geek

Re: prep test 49-section3- question 1---computer generated

by giladedelman Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:02 pm

I endorse the above explanation!

gilad.bendheim
Thanks Received: 21
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q1

by gilad.bendheim Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:22 am

Got another question about choice (A). It says that trials that use "computer-generated displays as evidence" should try and prevent misuse. But the passage doesn't talk about using computer-generated displays AS evidence -- it talks about using computer generated displays to DISPLAY evidence! For instance, line 55-6 says that judges should warn jurors about the dangers of computer-generated evidence, i.e. evidence that is made using a computer. The evidence itself is computer generated, but the DISPLAY itself is not evidence - it is only the medium that shows the evidence.
Am I wrong here?

michellemyxu
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by michellemyxu Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Why is D wrong? I understand that it kind of understated the ways to avoid misuse of the technology the author suggested in the 3rd paragraph, but it also used the phrase "litigators' prudent use of ..." Also, I feel like the author expressed her main point mainly in the first paragraph...which is about the technology's advantages, so I chose D. Could someone please point out why I'm wrong here? Thanks!

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by ohthatpatrick Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Do you have any line references that sound equivalent in meaning to (D)?

In general, you don't wanna pick a correct answer on RC without a corresponding line reference or two to back you up.

(D) sounds more confident and future-looking than anything I heard the author say.

The passage felt like
P1 - this technology can do some cool stuff
P2 - there are some serious concerns, though, about this technology
P3 - here's what we need to do to minimize the problematic stuff

(D) is luring you into thinking, "What's next ...?"

If we do all the stuff in P3 to minimize the problematic stuff in P2, then we're left with the good stuff from P1!

But the author never said any of that. Main point questions aren't about predicting "what else" the author might think. You want to try to actually identify a thesis sentence.

To do so, you have to first focus on the Purpose of the passage. The author of this passage most clearly reveals herself in the 3rd paragraph.

P1 sounds more like a background summary. The REAL reason the author wrote this passage is P2. Critics are pushing back against this video use, and the author is basically defending the video use against the criticism.

Or we could say that P2 brings up potential problems, and P3 presents solutions.

Whether I think of this as
Defend against critics
or
Provide a solution to a problem

I would call 46-47 the most purpose driven sentence, and that's what choice (A) matches up with.

NicholasM725
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by NicholasM725 Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:03 pm

When I attempted this section timed, I correctly chose answer (A). However, when reviewing the section, I see that (A) states "Those involved in court trials that take advantage". Paragraph 3 outlines steps that judges must take to remedy the problems stated in paragraph 2. However, judges aren't taking advantage of the computer-generated visual displays.

Furthermore, I cannot come up with a concrete reason to eliminate (E). It seems to fit the passage quite well.

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by ohthatpatrick Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:12 pm

For (A),
the modifier "that take advantage of computer-generated displays" is modifying the noun "court trials".

It's saying:
if your'e involved in a court trial that's using computer generated displays, you need to take steps to prevent misuse."

Who are the parties involved in a court trial?
the judge
the plaintiff
the defendant
the prosecutor
etc.

For (E), it's guilty of the most common sin of a wrong answer: language that's too strong.

ANY disadvantages can be eliminated? Every single one?

Hope this helps.

PhoebeL747
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

by PhoebeL747 Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:35 pm

ohthatpatrick Wrote:For (A),
the modifier "that take advantage of computer-generated displays" is modifying the noun "court trials".

How do you know the modifier applies to the noun "court trials" rather than the pronoun "those"? I found the decision to decide which subject the modifier is modifying quite arbitrary and open to subjective interpretation.

Thanks in advance!