Q1

contropositive
Thanks Received: 1
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Q1

by contropositive Sun May 31, 2015 7:04 pm

My question for this game is about "greater than." Because 9 is greater than 1-8, I concluded K is going to be in spot 9 (considering the other rules too). However, I keep seeing the explanations saying K is in the 1st spot. How do we figure this out? isn't 9 greater than 1-8?

I read on a blog that either way should be fine (whether you put K in 1 or 9, except the last question). with K being placed in spot 9, I get the following chain:

H - J - G - M - F - I -
N - L
K9

So for question 1 I struggled. Because I, F, and M all have at least 3 letters going behind them so they cannot be in the third spot. I don't really understand what they mean by "third highest."

When I put K in the first spot I finished the game in under 5 minutes with everything correct.

On test day, I wouldn't know what they mean by Highest unless they clarify what is highest. Looking at more recent tests, a lot of them do specify which one is highest and lowest. This test is from 1992 so perhaps I should hope this wont be an issue anymore on the lsat?

maryadkins
Thanks Received: 641
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Q1

by maryadkins Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:13 am

Yeah, this can get confusing sometimes!

So in this game, obviously by now you realize, highest salary means 1, not 9. Here's how you figure that out.

1. Glance through the questions. Question 6 spells it out for you—"first (highest) to ninth (lowest)." Usually you'll see an explicit clue like this letting you know which way the rankings are being considered.

2. If, as happened to you, the questions stop making sense in light of the rules, you've probably gotten it wrong.

It does still come up that this kind of thing can be confusing. But you do have the above tools at your disposal.

contropositive
Thanks Received: 1
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by contropositive Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:52 pm

maryadkins Wrote:Yeah, this can get confusing sometimes!

So in this game, obviously by now you realize, highest salary means 1, not 9. Here's how you figure that out.

1. Glance through the questions. Question 6 spells it out for you—"first (highest) to ninth (lowest)." Usually you'll see an explicit clue like this letting you know which way the rankings are being considered.

2. If, as happened to you, the questions stop making sense in light of the rules, you've probably gotten it wrong.

It does still come up that this kind of thing can be confusing. But you do have the above tools at your disposal.

Thank you for the clarification. Often, the last question on Games asks us to change or replace one or more of the general rules. This is why I didn't rely on question 6 to give me the clue. But I guess if it's not explicitly written in the stimuli or rules given, I will refer to the questions for clues.

stacksdoe
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

by stacksdoe Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:42 am

royaimani20 Wrote:
maryadkins Wrote:Yeah, this can get confusing sometimes!

Thank you for the clarification. Often, the last question on Games asks us to change or replace one or more of the general rules. This is why I didn't rely on question 6 to give me the clue. But I guess if it's not explicitly written in the stimuli or rules given, I will refer to the questions for clues.

To piggyback of Marry: First and foremost, I would like to contend that you can play this game with 9 being greater then 1, it just takes a little longer, or in your case much longer to complete ,because as Marry pointed out, the game hints at 1 being greater then 9. Another way to look at this is that position 1 represents the highest salary, position 2 the second highest, and so forth. And the way to see this, besides looking at the questions as Marry points out, is to try and conceptualize what the rules and the scenario mean beneath the surface. I wanted to give you some basic guidelines but I think that would just through you off; just remember to be flexible with your rules,I get the feeling that you are trying to do that, so kudos to that!
The more games I keep playing- and I have played plenty of 'em- the more I realize you have to be very flexible and consistent with each game, and the more you do it the better you get at being flexible. And even though the bare bones of the games are very similar-i.e. linear, grouping, hybrids- within each game type, each game has its own particulars. Thus context can be the trick, take this game for example.
I initially played this game like you did, where K is positioned at 9 and N/H are dual-options for 1, and its possible to complete the game this way, as I indicated earlier, just a little harder then the other way.
Question number one: so if we are going with 9 then greater then 1, then the third highest space would be 7, and no matter how you draw it up H,G,M, and K can not be slotted there. I think you may just have possibly misinterpreted the question when matching it to your diagram, and that can easily happen when your sketch doesn't really capture how the game is presented. However, right at this moment I realized that if you struggled on this first question, then I advice you to go back and consider reconfiguring your sketch. And in fact, Marry you may have missed this: if you juxtapose question number one to the rules, you should see that they imply greater=higher salary=the left side of the line diagram. But I think the number line holds the crux of your confusion, but notice that we are never told anything pertaining to number line in the scenario or rules, we are only told which is greater then which, i.e. who makes more compared to one or more other persons. And if you just stick to that, especially during the initial set-up, you won't place K in slot number 9, because then how can K be greater then I or L, unless your doing it inversely; Again, which I contend is possible, just not as easy. I hope this doesn't add confusion! Here is how the two MS should look:

I- F - M - G - J - H
k<---
L- N the unintended but possible way is this: H- J-G--M-F-I
----> K
N - L
(A) (B)

Clearly, you can answer the questions and arrive at the same solution, but diagram A is much more easier to utilize in answering the questions.

I hope this helps a little- I know you prolly long gone- but someone else can hopefully use this insight!