Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful
trophy
First Responder

Q 13 - Like a genetic profile

by LSAT-Chang Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Can someone help me understand how (B) is supported by the text? For some reason, this question threw me off and I went with (E) because I thought since fMRI can even create a recognizable image of that patient's face whereas the genetic profile can be linked to a patient only by labels or records, that patients would be more concerned about threats to privacy posed by fMRIs than genetic profiles. Where do we get evidence for the fact that fMRI has the potential to "compromise patient privacy in circumstances in which a genetic profile would not"???

gilad.bendheim
Thanks Received: 21
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: Q13 - Like a genetic profile

by gilad.bendheim Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:47 pm

Because an fMRI could theoretically be used to figure out the way the person looks, one could perhaps identify the patient even if the fMRI was not labeled with his/her name. So in a situation with an unlabeled item, the genetic profile would be untraceable to a specific person, while the fMRI might be traceable. In that circumstance, the fMRI patient's privacy might be compromised, but the genetic profile patient's would not be.

phlee004
Thanks Received: 0
Forum Guests

Re: Q 13 - Like a genetic profile

by phlee004 Thu May 24, 2012 11:32 pm

I agree with gilad for the explanation of answer B.

As for why E is incorrect, I feel that it is because we don't know what patients are "more concerned" about. Maybe the patient is more concerned about what is on those "labels/records" than they are about their faces being able to be recognized.

This is my first "answer" post so please let me know if my thinking is not concurrent with the LSAC Gods. Thanks!

shirando21
Thanks Received: 16
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by shirando21 Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:38 pm

why is C incorrect?

shirando21
Thanks Received: 16
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by shirando21 Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:52 pm

can we say that the argument is quite descriptive of FMRI and genetic profiles, we should not infer statements like C and E which are quite subjective not objective? as how people concern or reasonably think is not mentioned in the argument?

pakerjon
Forum Guests

by pakerjon Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:12 am

Interesting discussion!! i like it...
;) 8-)
Get started with web designing with 642-426 course.We offer self paced 646-230 training to pass mcitp braindumps exam and learn Adobe Photoshop basic.main site braindumps For more details about this product visit MICROSOFT ,best wishes.

rinagoldfield
Thanks Received: 309
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by rinagoldfield Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:20 am

Great conversation about a tricky inference question! I actually eliminated all five answer choices my first time going through this problem, and had to take a second pass to find the correct answer.

Gilad B’s explanation of why (B) is correct is spot-on. fMRIs can generate images that look like patients’ faces. Such resemblances could be used to link fMRIs to individual patients. The sensitive information contained in fMRIs could therefore be connected to individual patients without examining labels or records. Genetic profiles, on the other hand, can ONLY be linked to patients by examining labels or records.

(A) is unsupported. It discusses "importance," but the facts in the stimulus don’t support such evaluative claims.
(C) is unsupported. How much confidence should patients feel in their privacy? Hard to say, since the stimulus tells us nothing about how well their privacy is protected.
(D) is unsupported. We know that both fMRIs and genetic profiles contain sensitive information. But we don’t know whether they contain the same pieces of sensitive information or completely different ones.
(E), like (C), discusses patients’ concern about privacy. But the stimulus offers no information about patient concern. Eliminate (E) as unsupported.

jasmine78888
Forum Guests

by jasmine78888 Sat May 04, 2013 6:11 am

it is really nice post i like this info i appreciate this post keep it up......... :lol:
Jasmine