andrewgong01
Thanks Received: 61
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Passage Discussion

by andrewgong01 Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:23 pm

I am a bit unclear with what the "other factors" allude to for Choice "E" from Q7 (the main point) but it is more so because I have structural misunderstanding with the passage:

The passage in P1 started of by giving three catalyst (WWI, Immigration cuts, infestation of cotton crops) for the Great Migration. But the the author pivots in P2 to saying we want to argue migration only started because of the income gap but we want to explain and argue how this trend continued despite the closing in on the gap.

My confusion is what role does P1 play in the passage because the passage goes on to talk about a cause, wealth inequality , that wasn't even the original three catalysts in P1? In other words, why was the three catalysts brought up but the author does not really address the the three catalysts like other passages that would argue for/against the catalysts.

Going back, then, to the main point in Q7, the credited response cited "other factors" can be cited to explain the duration but is the other factor the 3 factors from P1 or are they the things discussed in P4 about like culture cushion etc?

My Passage Map During the Read:

P1 : Context on the Great Migration
P2: Inequality in wealth triggers it but leads to a "paradox" we must explain
P3: Cost theory of immigration
P4: Empirical results to support P3 and give a more complete picture of why immigration continued.

Even with the map, I am still unclear with the catalysts from P1 and if wealth inequaility/cultural cushion is also considered a cause of the Great Migration

ohthatpatrick
Thanks Received: 3808
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: Passage Discussion

by ohthatpatrick Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:21 am

Here's how I'd sell it:

PURPOSE: Explain a puzzling phenomenon

MOST VALUABLE SENTENCES: lines 19-25

MAIN POINT: Even after the economic incentives for doing so lessened, people continued to migrate from South to North, primarily because the cost and difficulty of migration had lessened for later migrants.

P1: Summary of Great Migration and its origins.
The confluence of three things triggered a compelling economic incentive to move North:
1. more jobs up North due to WWI needs
2. fewer workers up North due to less European immigration
3. fewer jobs down South because boll weevils wrecked sh*t

P2: Why the Migration started makes sense;
why it continued is a head-scratcher.
The rate of migration actually ACCELERATED even after the economic incentives had become less compelling.

P3: Our explanation: the later you migrated, the easier/cheaper it was.

P4: Empirical evidence to back up our explanation