Diagram

by ManhattanPrepLSAT1 Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:37 pm

eunjung.shin
Thanks Received: 2
Jackie Chiles
Jackie Chiles

Re: PT51, S4, G4 setup + Q18 explanation

by eunjung.shin Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:35 am

mshermn Wrote:So I've posted the tree that can be established as well as work through of question #18. If you have any questions on this game feel free to ask...

Sorry where is the post? Cannot find any attachments. :(

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Diagram

by timmydoeslsat Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:33 pm

I will post my diagram and set up for #18.

Diagram

With M being fourth, I have three slots behind it and I know that 3 variables must precede M according to my global diagram. I do not know the order amongst them, so they can fit anywhere in slots 1-3. After M, the only thing that we know in terms of a sequence is that K and G precede O. L is left to float on that side.

Lizmalenfant
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by Lizmalenfant Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:46 pm

I am really struggling with logic games. I don't want to move on without getting the answers to the courier game. "19. if H is the fourth parcel delivered...." and 17. "which of the following must be true..." are there complete answers anywhere? and is that handwritten tree with both N and J kind of stacked onto each other correct?

HELP!

timmydoeslsat Wrote:I will post my diagram and set up for #18.

Diagram

With M being fourth, I have three slots behind it and I know that 3 variables must precede M according to my global diagram. I do not know the order amongst them, so they can fit anywhere in slots 1-3. After M, the only thing that we know in terms of a sequence is that K and G precede O. L is left to float on that side.

timmydoeslsat
Thanks Received: 887
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

by timmydoeslsat Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:36 pm

You can find the answer to every preptest here: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/ls ... -exam.html

The handwritten global diagram is correct. The original post at the top is the exact same as the handwritten one, although there is better spacing with the tree.

A global question stem in a sequencing game will usually simply test our ability to read the tree diagram. If you need help with how to go through that, I will be happy to do so, but for now I will go through the problems as if you know how to.

#17, a global must be true, will test our ability to read the global diagram.

A) We have no lines before K, so this could be false.
B) Only one variable must come after G, so this could be false.
C) Must be true. H has to come prior to M, L, G, and O at least.
D) Only three variables must come after J, so this could be false.
E) Only three variables must come before M, so this could be false.

For #19, we want to plug in the local information and make inferences to determine what must be false (could be true except means we are hunting for an answer that must be false).

Below is what I have inferred when H is fourth. An explanation will follow it.

With H being fourth, we want to first determine from our global diagram that we started with at the beginning how many variables must follow H. We know we have four. Look to our local setup, we have exactly four slots that follow H at fourth. This means that all of those variables will occupy those slots and only those variables. And we know that there is an order to those variables, M-G-O. We also know that L follows H, so L is going to be a floater. Wherever we place H in slots 5-8 will guarantee it follows H. And L has no rules governing its placement other than that.

What about the other variables? Well, we know they will be preceding H in this scenario. What variables are indeed left? N, J, and K. The only rules governing these variables are that they are to precede the variables that are now located in the 5-8 slot area, so no matter how we place these variables, it will be a guarantee that they will precede those variables. So they now act as floaters.

Answer choice (A) must be false. K could never be fifth.