ajiang.legal
Thanks Received: 0
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

PT49, S4, G2, P8-12: There are exactly 5 pieces

by ajiang.legal Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi,

Could you explain the setup for this game? It took me waaaaaay too long :twisted: to model & figure out the problems. Thanks! :?

- Andrew

noah
Thanks Received: 1192
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

Re: E49, S4, G2, P8-12: There are exactly 5 pieces

by noah Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:44 am

June 2006 Preptest 49 LSAT Answers

Hey Andrew, No problemo. It's an open grouping game. You'll find the solution attached. Have fun. - Noah

PT49, S1, G2 - Mailboxes - Manhattan LSAT.pdf
(142.87 KiB) Downloaded 1788 times

interestedintacos
Thanks Received: 58
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thanked
trophy
First Responder

Re: Diagram

by interestedintacos Thu May 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Thanks for the excellent explanation. I noticed something though. On question 12, and this is immaterial to the correct answer in this case, but I don't see why you seem to limit F's assignment to only G or J in your final diagram. I don't see why F can't go in any of the 3 groups (G, J or R). The question stem says "if M and S are assigned to the same housemate" but doesn't say another entity couldn't also be assigned to that housemate.

canylaw
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by canylaw Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:16 pm

Thanks for the awesome diagram.Is there a faster way to approach Q12.It took me <2min to crack it :x

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 pm

interestedintacos Wrote:Thanks for the excellent explanation. I noticed something though. On question 12, and this is immaterial to the correct answer in this case, but I don't see why you seem to limit F's assignment to only G or J in your final diagram. I don't see why F can't go in any of the 3 groups (G, J or R). The question stem says "if M and S are assigned to the same housemate" but doesn't say another entity couldn't also be assigned to that housemate.

Good point! I fixed up the diagram. Thanks for pointing that out.

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 pm

canylaw Wrote:Thanks for the awesome diagram.Is there a faster way to approach Q12.It took me <2min to crack it :x

I haven't found one - maybe some other geek can...

jennifer
Elle Woods
Elle Woods

by jennifer Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:56 am

would it be suggusted to do two frames here, as the letter can only be delivered to J or R. Or no, because all you get out of the frame is knowing the position of P (if R got the letter, J recieved the postcard.) Thanks

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by noah Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:26 pm

jennifer Wrote:Or no, because all you get out of the frame is knowing the position of P (if R got the letter, J recieved the postcard.)

You got it! There's not much to learn from those frames. You want to "hear" your brain say "oh! If we put this here, then look at everything I know!..."

However, it probably didn't take you long to figure those out, so I wouldn't say it was wasted time. It gave you a better sense of the game, which is useful. What you need to watch out for is spending a ton of time on frames, but they lead to nothing. Or, even worse, thinking you've correctly framed out the 2 or 3 possibilities but you've actually forgotten about some other ones.

tzyc
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

by tzyc Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi, thanks for the diagram,
but actually I'm a little confused with Q12...
you made 2 frames for the question and gave 2 possibilities and 2 scenarios but I think you only used the 1st frame and the 2 scenarios you talked about are basically the same isn't it? (Because in both cases you have S\M for R and they are based on the first frame) If not why F cannot go to R in the first scenario though in 2nd scenario it can? :|

Thanks.

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

by noah Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:05 pm

tz_strawberry Wrote:Hi, thanks for the diagram,
but actually I'm a little confused with Q12...
you made 2 frames for the question and gave 2 possibilities and 2 scenarios but I think you only used the 1st frame and the 2 scenarios you talked about are basically the same isn't it? (Because in both cases you have S\M for R and they are based on the first frame) If not why F cannot go to R in the first scenario though in 2nd scenario it can? :|

Thanks.

Howdy TZ, I re-read that bit and realized it needed some cleaning. Tell me if the new explanation works better for you.

- N

tzyc
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

trophy
Most Thankful

by tzyc Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:24 pm

Thanks noah, love the explanation! :)
By the way, on the real test, if it is a Could be true question (not must be true question) is it OK to check answer choices just based on one of the frames?
For example, in Q12, after making the 1st frame start to look for an answer related to F...
(and if there is no answer maybe test the other frame)
Or would you say it's better to test all frames from the beginning?
I just wonder maybe I can save some time by doing that?
If it's must be true question I think it does not work though...
And, for could be T question, we learned it's easier to eliminate must be F ones, but when we get to one which works, then we can just choose it and move on right? (no need to double check the rest is Must F)

Thanks.

noah
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

by noah Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:49 pm

I'm glad the explanation deserves your love!

tz_strawberry Wrote: By the way, on the real test, if it is a Could be true question (not must be true question) is it OK to check answer choices just based on one of the frames?
For example, in Q12, after making the 1st frame start to look for an answer related to F...
(and if there is no answer maybe test the other frame)
Or would you say it's better to test all frames from the beginning?
I just wonder maybe I can save some time by doing that?

Since all you have to do is find an answer that works, testing against one frame or scenario is acceptable. However, the hard part is not freaking out when you get no answer--which can easily happen--and instead knowing you have other scenarios to explore. Probably a bit more time efficient to flesh out the other frame (which in this case is a dud).

tz_strawberry Wrote: If it's must be true question I think it does not work though...

Yup. Though then you run into the problem of the scenario you choose supporting multiple answers. Then you have to confirm based on trying out the other frame.
tz_strawberry Wrote:And, for could be T question, we learned it's easier to eliminate must be F ones, but when we get to one which works, then we can just choose it and move on right? (no need to double check the rest is Must F)

Correct. Though sometimes is more efficient to just defer and eliminate what's left. Depends on the complexity of the answer choices and which one seems right (i.e. if (A) seems right, it might be smart to stop and check, while if (D) seems right, it's often faster to just go and eliminate (E)).

hall.briandavis
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

by hall.briandavis Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:13 am

I found one critical inference to solving the last three problems. The inference regards Georgette. We know that Georgette cannot receive the letter or the mail. This means she must receive either the postcard or the survey or both. Why? Because excluding the letter and the mail, she must receive the flyer, postcard or survey. We also know that if she were to receive the flyer then she would also receive at least one of the post card or survey as well.

Thinking with this inference as of primary importance allows the final three questions to be solved most easily. It is a matter of eliminating answer choices that preclude Georgette from receiving the post card or the survey.