mrudula_2005
Thanks Received: 21
Forum Guests

trophy
First Responder

Q5 - The area of mathematics called

by mrudula_2005 Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Can you help me understand the reason why C is wrong? Thanks!
Last edited by mrudula_2005 on Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bbirdwell
Thanks Received: 864
Atticus Finch
Atticus Finch

This post thanked 1 time.

Re: Q5 - The area of mathematics called

by bbirdwell Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:43 am

(C) is wrong because it's unsupported. Who's to say whether modern physics discoveries would have been IMPOSSIBLE without those advances? Also, on a nit-picky level, we don't have any evidence to suggest that the 19th century mathematical advances were "major."

This is what the argument boils down to:
old math ideas were used much later than they were originated.

this is what (A) says: application long after discovery.

(C) would be a good answer if somewhere the argument said something like "the ONLY reason Einstein found relativity... the ONLY way scientists can explore quantum mechanics."
I host free online workshop/Q&A sessions called Zen and the Art of LSAT. You can find upcoming dates here: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/zen-and-the-art.cfm

EvelynM330
Thanks Received: 1
Vinny Gambini
Vinny Gambini

Re: Q5 - The area of mathematics called

by EvelynM330 Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:53 pm

I'm not entirely convinced by answer A either (I went for C, although I see C has its problems too).

Although gauge field theory has 'only recently been applied to problems in contemporary quantum mechanics' and Differential geometry was investigated 'long before' Einstein used it for Relativities, the question by no means stated that these were the FIRST TIME anyone (perhaps a chemist) ever recognized the application of these theories of mathematics.