The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
irs031
Course Students

Took the GRE today Disappointed :(

by irs031 Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:33 pm

My practice test results so far were:

Manhattan GRE practice exams:
Test 1: Q: 155 V: 158
Test 2: Q: 159 V: 156
Test 3: Q: 156 V: 159
Test 4: Q: 158 V: 158
Test 5: Q: 159 V: 158
Test 6: Q: 159 V: 156

OG paper tests:
Test 1: Q: 163 V: 156
Test 2: Q: 160 V: 160

Powerprep:
Test 1: Q: 164 V: 155
Test 2: Q: 162 V: 162

Actual GRE test (today)
Q: 158 V: 153

Overall, I believe the actual test was harder than the tests provided in the OG textbook, as well as the Powerprep (especially the Quant part). I got some Quant problems, which I had no clue on how to solve, so I had to guess these at random. There was a problem with a quadratic equation (parabola) in the coordinate plane and another problem with a circle in the coordinate plane. I had solved some parabola problems in the 5lb Manhattan book, but in general I was not well prepared for these questions. There were few other harder geometry and word problems, which I needed to guess on. I was thinking about some of these problems on my way home from the test center and figured out possible solutions, however these solutions didn't "click" for me during the test.

My difficulties on the verbal section started with the very first reading comp passage. The text was quite unfriendly, I started running out of time and lost my concentration completely. I was hoping that this could have been an experimental section, but unfortunately it wasn't. Two easier verbal sections followed, one of which must have been the experimental one.

I need a quantitative score of at least 161 (80th percentile) for the graduate program which I want to apply for, so I need to retake the exam. I can probably hope for a better verbal score on my second attempt, provided that I am better able to track my time and don't let concentration lapse.
However, it looks like that my Quant preparation is inadequate. I have gone through the Manhattan GRE strategy guides, I have solved most of the quant problems in the 5lb. guide, I've practiced some math problems from Kaplan and I have gone through all official GRE textbooks and practice exams. I've been preparing since February and I did put quite a bit of effort in my GRE preparation so far.

For that reason I am kind of puzzled on what else I need to do in order to prepare better?
tommywallach
Manhattan Prep Staff

Re: Took the GRE today Disappointed :(

by tommywallach Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:08 pm

Have you taken a class? Your scores on our tests would lead me to believe you really weren't seeing any improvement in your studies. This happens often with self-study (for reasons I can explain), but less often with a class. That said, it does still happen with classes, for pretty standard reasons (again, which I can explain). What was the situation for you?

-t
irs031
Course Students

by irs031 Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:23 am

Tommy,

I am not aware of any live GRE classes to be offered in my area (Northern Wisconsin) and in addition to that I also work full time Monday through Friday and sometimes even weekends. I relied primarily on self study. First I covered the Manhattan strategy guides, then I covered the quant portion of the 5lb book at least 70% of the problems), solved some problems on Kaplan's web site and finally solved all problems in the OG guide and took the 4 practice tests. For verbal, I just did the problems in the Manhattan strategy guides and the OG and OG vol. 1 verbal. I was OK with the average verbal score that I was getting on practice tests, so that I concentrated primarily on math. I also did study the essential list of words and most of the advanced words provided in one of the Manhattan guides.

I believe that I also need some help on how to manage test anxiety. My lower verbal score is primarily due to that. I scored more than 153 even on the very first test that I took, before any studying. On the quant section, I got 2-3 problems which I truly couldn't solve (didn't understand even what the problem asked me to do). Most of the problems, which I guessed on though were solvable. I came up with solutions just by thinking about these problems on my way home after the test. On the test however you have no time to "ruminate" over a problem. The solution should either "click" in your mind the moment you read the question or you make a guess and move on, otherwise you run out of time.
tommywallach
Manhattan Prep Staff

by tommywallach Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:15 pm

Hey IRS,

I promise, I'm not an upseller. That said, I would recommend you take a class. It doesn't have to be our class (though I am a big fan of our classes!), but you need to take some class. You can do an online class on the weekends. Or you could schedule a few hours of private tutoring. But the truth is, if you've done a ton of study and you're not seeing improvement, you have to change things up.

That said, I can at least explain why this is happening. It's happening because you are spending more time DOING questions than actually studying the underlying material. When you do this, it may feel like you're improving, but because you aren't learning new ways of doing questions (i.e. approaches and techniques), you can't actually do NEW questions. You could do the ones you've already seen very quickly, but you haven't developed the mental flexibility required to solve new variations on old themes. This isn't to say you CANNOT improve on your own, but it would require a shift in how you study. Are you doing daily study, or are you saving most of it for the weekends, because of your job? The best plan is 1-1.5 hours 7 days a week, rather than cramming.

Also, it doesn't sound like you have test anxiety. It sounds like the issue I previously described.

-t