General questions relating to Manhattan Prep, the GRE exam and just about anything else you can think of.
fbmagnumopus
Students

Poor standardized test taker

by fbmagnumopus Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:17 am

Hey Tommy,

I wanted to ask you something general. I've kind of always been a mediocre standardized test taker. Even on my SAT's I never scraped a 90th percentile. And now after months of practice, my 10th diagnostic gives me a score of 160 V 163 Q from powerprep. I really need atleast 165 on both sections for the universities I'm applying for. What do you suggest I do in the next 2 weeks before my exam?

Also, I wanted to ask you if some people are just better standardized test takers than others and it comes to them naturally or do they have to train themselves invariably.

Also, its also a question of recognizing enough problems come test day as I've been reading the wonderful Stacy Koprince's posts on the blog. I've found this to be a major challenge not due to memory issues but rather due to the fact that you have to be a good multitasker on the test in terms of recognition, speed, accuracy and remembering and applying your strategies and not making silly mistakes. What is your advice on how to juggle all these activities on the test especially the last one.

The worst part is that all of this has to be done under extreme pressure. It's quite overwhelming!!! Only the very few manage to beat all these hurdles to a perfect score so it makes sense why there's always a few 99th%ile scorers.

Sorry for the length of this. I know its a drag on the eyes. Apologies
tommywallach
Manhattan Prep Staff

Re: Poor standardized test taker

by tommywallach Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:12 pm

Hey FB,

Yes, some people are just better at testing. Not because they're smarter, but because the sort of things you need to do on standardized tests (reading the questions very carefully, doing out work instead of assuming you can do it in your head, etc.) are their standard process for doing all kinds of questions. This is why folks who consider themselves "math people" suddenly find themselves struggling with math on the GRE.

As for what to do, just keep working questions, taking practice tests every 3-5 days, and reviewing them as deeply as possible. You should be able to solve every question you've seen on every test before you take your next test.

From there, focus on weak points (if you're using our materials, you can see them clearly; if not, just go with your gut where you feel like you're struggling). But remember, focused work like that is less important than just doing all questions with the best possible process (see the solutions in the back of the book(s) for such processes).

Good luck!

-t
fbmagnumopus
Students

by fbmagnumopus Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 am

Thanks Tommy! Great advice : )
tommywallach
Manhattan Prep Staff

by tommywallach Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:43 pm

That's what I'm here for!