General questions relating to Manhattan Prep, the GRE exam and just about anything else you can think of.
kelandlixishower
Students

Improving Quant Score on GRE Retake

by kelandlixishower Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Hello Tommy and Crew:

I took the GRE after a few months of study using your strategy guides. What great books! They helped pull up my verbal score substantially and I ended up scoring 167, which is an amazing result for a quant-minded person with a tiny vocabulary. Thanks a million!

To my surprise, I did better in verbal than in math, where I scored a couple points below my goal of 167. I scored 169+ on both Power Prep tests, and between 166 and 168 on the Manhattan Prep tests that I took. Not sure what happened on test day, as I definitely understand all the material and did not run out of time.

Long story short, I'm looking to retake the test and would like recommendations on how to pull up my quant score. Was considering your 5 pound book of questions, but wanted to know to what extent it covered math over verbal, if it included the same questions as the strategy guide books, and how many problems were "medium" or "advanced" in difficulty. Your insight would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Anna
tommywallach
Manhattan Prep Staff

Re: Improving Quant Score on GRE Retake

by tommywallach Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Hey Anna,

First off, congrats on your improvement thus far! I'm sure you'll get the score you want next time around.

Yes, you are the perfect candidate for the 5lb book. You've seen all the basic material, and now you just need tons of questions to practice on. The book is half quant and half verbal (unsurprisingly), so there's plenty of material in there--about 3lbs worth (the book is actually heavier than 5lbs). It's a range of easy, medium, and advanced questions. But remember, even easy questions are good practice--you HAVE to get the easy ones right!

So yes, I would recommend the book wholeheartedly!

-t