The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
hasibul212003
Students

GRE experience and math tips.

by hasibul212003 Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:29 pm

Well took the GRE yesterday and got 317(Quant-163,Verbal-154). This is my 2nd attempt and though my score improved by 9 marks I still don't think it is good enough to get into a good phd program in Biostatistics. Anyway this forum helped me a lot with math especially so I would like to thank all the staff and students. And some tips for everyone for math preparation and how to manage time better on test day. While preparing for math concentrate more on basic concepts rather than using formulas. Most questions I had were more conceptual type-I had to read the question and convert it into mathematical language and then solve. None of the sums required any formulas except the area of geometric figures. And during exam if you get stuck at a particular sum leave it and try to finish the section first then come back to that question if you have time. I wasted too much time on a particular geometry question and I could not solve it and I ran out of time and had to leave 2 DI(Data Interpretation) questions because I wasted too much time on a single question. Geometry was tougher than usual. DI was not difficult but a bit time consuming. Try to leave at least 6-7 minutes for the 3 DI questions.

Hope this helps!

Good luck to everyone preparing for their test-hope you guys ace the test and get into the graduate program of your dreams :)
tommywallach
Manhattan Prep Staff

Re: GRE experience and math tips.

by tommywallach Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Hey Hasibul,

Congrats on improving, though sorry it isn't yet what you'd hoped for. Go through with your applications; people are often surprised by what score gets them into school. If need be, you can always take the test again. We'll still be here! :)

-t
hasibul212003
Students

by hasibul212003 Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:18 pm

Thanks Tommy yup getting my applications ready and hopefully will start applying soon. Let's see what happens-but I sincerely hope that I don't have to write the GRE a 3rd time!
tommywallach
Manhattan Prep Staff

by tommywallach Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:50 pm

I hope that for you as well!

-t