Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
nr

The positive integers x, y and z are such that x

by nr Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:19 am

From GMAT prep :

The positive integers x, y and z are such that x is a factor of y and y is a factor of z. Is z even.

1) xz is even
2) y is even.

Answer is D.

Can someone help me with this.

Thanks.
pravsr

Plug in

by pravsr Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:47 am

Hi,

I think the best way to solve this problem is to plug in different numbers.

1) xz = even.

Take x=3 y=6 and z=12. xz=even.. z is even
Take x=2 y=4 and z=8. xz=even.. z is even

Say xz is not even. Take x=1, y=3 and z=9.. z is not even.

So, sufficient.

2) y is even

An even integer will have all its multiples as even. Since z is a multiple of y, z has to be even.

So, sufficient.

D is the right answer
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:03 am

You can use the 'prime box' concept here.

Question 'Is z even?' --> 'Does the prime box for Z contain the number 2?'

(2) is the easy statement. If y is even, then y has a 2 in its prime factorization. But if y is a factor of z, then all the prime factors of y are also in z. Therefore, z contains a '2' in its prime box, so Z is even. Sufficient.

(1) means that either x is even, z is even, or both.
* If z is even, then the answer to the question is an immediate Yes.
* If x is even, then x contains a '2' in its prime factorization. Since x is a factor of y, so does y. Since y is a factor of z, so does z. So z is even. Sufficient.

Either is sufficient, so, D.
sudaif
Course Students

Re: The positive integers x, y and z are such that x

by sudaif Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:21 pm

Ron - if i were to solve this question using the basic even-odd divisibility properties, that should suffice right? do let me know if following thought process is ok. thanks.

Rephrased question
Per the factor foundation rule, x must be a factor of z b/c it is a factor of y and y is factor of z.
Question is, is z even?

statement 1:
X * Z = even
E * E = even  z is even and x is even. This works b/c z would then also be divisible by x.
E * O = even  does not work b/c z which is odd in this case, will not be divisible by any even number. So not possible
O * E = even  this will work. There are plenty of even numbers that are divisible by odd numbers.

Statement 2:
If Y = even, then z must be even b/c no odd number is divisible by an even number.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: The positive integers x, y and z are such that x

by RonPurewal Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:58 am

sudaif Wrote:Ron - if i were to solve this question using the basic even-odd divisibility properties, that should suffice right? do let me know if following thought process is ok. thanks.

Rephrased question
Per the factor foundation rule, x must be a factor of z b/c it is a factor of y and y is factor of z.
Question is, is z even?

statement 1:
X * Z = even
E * E = even  z is even and x is even. This works b/c z would then also be divisible by x.
E * O = even  does not work b/c z which is odd in this case, will not be divisible by any even number. So not possible
O * E = even  this will work. There are plenty of even numbers that are divisible by odd numbers.

Statement 2:
If Y = even, then z must be even b/c no odd number is divisible by an even number.

yep.
by definition, anything that works by considering "multiple of 2 vs. not multiple of 2" will also work by considering even vs. odd, since those are two ways of describing exactly the same properties.

the key aspect of this problem is realizing that x is a factor of y, which is also a factor of z -- and, therefore, anything that goes into either x or y must also go into z.