Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
MamounK350
Forum Guests

Study plan and strategy after first CAT

by MamounK350 Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:20 pm

Hi,

I have been studying in the Interact program since 11/09/2022.

I wrote an email to Student Services on 11/22/2022 about which study strategy to adopt in order to prepare for the GMAT in one month, and they answered that I would have to double my daily workload in order to complete the entire Interact syllabus in one month. I was strongly encouraged to take a full-length practice test to adjust my workload based on how far I am from my goal score and my specific strengths and weaknesses, by section, problem type, and content area. I was also advised that if I was more than 130 points away from my goal score, I would be unlikely to complete the test in one month and that I would have to postpone my test date by at least 4 weeks. At that time, my goal was to take my test before January 4th (first deadline for the second round of applications to the masters I am interested in).

As requested, I took a first CAT on 11/25/2022, to which I scored 580 (Q37/V33), my goal score being 750. Since I was 170 points away from my goal score, I did as suggested and decided to apply to the third rounds rather than the second rounds of applications to the programs I am interested in and therefore decided to push back my test date to no later than 02/22/2023 (first deadline for the third rounds of applications to the masters programs I am interested in), the ideal test date being 02/12/2023 in order to allow room for unforeseen circumstances and also because I'm doing an internship during the week and because I have to take into account the deadline for the release of the official GMAT results.

One important point to note about my performance on this first CAT is that I was way too fast in the Verbal section (49 minutes). I know that if I had taken my time on this section, I would have scored higher. As requested in the e-mail, I also thoroughly analyzed my performance on this mock test using the CAT tracker spreadsheet. Therefore, my specific strengths and weaknesses, by section, problem type, and content area are as follows:

BUCKET 1
Q: question type: PS, topic: word problems
V: question type: SC

BUCKET 2 :
Q: question types: DS with some PS, topics: algebra and geometry
V: question type: RC

BUCKET 3 :
Q: question types: mostly DS, topics: FDPRs and number properties
V: question type: CR

Due to an exam period that lasted a month after the date of this CAT (11/25/2022), I did not get back to my GMAT preparation until a few days ago. I have spent most of my time analyzing my CAT performance using the Excel provided. I learned a lot from my mistakes on that first CAT (especially in terms of timing for the Verbal section) and I think that if I took the CAT again today, my score would be higher and therefore my gap from my goal score would be smaller.

I am reaching out to you because I need help with my study plan for the month and a half of preparation that I have left. Here are my availabilities to study during this period:
- holidays from 01/03/2023 to 01/08/2023 included: 5 to 8 hours per day
- after work (internship), weekdays from 01/09/2023 to 02/10/2023 included : 1h30 to 2h per day
- weekends from 01/14/2023 to 02/11/2023 included: 6 hours per day
That is a total minimum time available to study for the GMAT of a little over 120 hours

I can also afford to take up to 5 days off during my internship, but I keep this option as a last resort in case of absolute necessity or if I am really not making enough progress in my preparation.

I have already taken the GMAT basic math diagnostic test, reviewed the chapters in which I was unsure in the Foundations of Math ebook, watched the workshops corresponding to those chapters thanks to the GMAT Starter Kit, took my first CAT exam and reviewed my answers and performance on it using the CAT tracker spreadsheet.

Given the above information about my situation, do you think this is a feasible goal? How should I structure my study plan and articulate it with the GMAT Interact syllabus? When would you recommend me to take my next CAT considering my situation and given that the tracker suggests me to take it after 2 to 4 weeks of study?

Thank you very much in advance for your answer and for your help in my preparation.

Mamoun
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Study plan and strategy after first CAT

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:54 pm

Thanks for the excellent summary! I remember when your question came in to our Student Services team. (They get forwarded to me. :) )

Okay, so if I understand correctly, you took your practice test in late November, but then suspended your studies for a month and have started back up again in the last several days—yes?

In general, the best assumption is that your data from the practice test is still reflective of how you would score if you tested today—in other words, your current scoring range is in the high 500s. Your goal score is 750 and you'd like to take the test in mid-February, or about 6 weeks from now. It would be really unusual for someone to make that kind of score improvement in that timeframe. (It's not about number of hours—this isn't a "facts and rules" test, where you can cram for a period of time and spit it all back out. You are actually training yourself how to think your way through new test problems. That takes repeated experiences over a length of time.)

But you also mentioned really rushing on the Verbal section (49 min) and it's true that rushing that much can really impact your score. So what I would do is take another full-length practice test under 100% official conditions right now.

If your score is still in the 580 to 650 range, I'd consider changing your planned timeframe (or lowering your goal score).

If your score is in the 700+ range, then go for it. Just be aware that 750 is an extremely high score—it's not unusual for people in the 700 range to study for months and still not make it to 750...but still go for it!

If your score is between 650 and 700, then you're in a grey area—you'll have to make a judgment call. You can try to go for it, but I'd also have a back-up plan, because the odds aren't really high.

One more caveat: You think that your V score is lower than it really should have been—but it sounds like the Q score was pretty accurate? To hit 750, even if you get V up to a score of 45 (the 99th percentile—super hard to reach!), you'd also have to raise Q to a score of at least 48 (out of 51—also a very competitive score). Your Q is currently at 37, so that's an 11-point increase. Again, that's an ambitious goal for 6 weeks. Not impossible, but definitely a challenging goal.

Again, I'm not trying to talk you out of going for it—but I do want you have enough information to set up a realistic plan for yourself (or to have a back-up plan if your first plan doesn't work out).

Re: study schedule, I don't typically encourage people to study for more than 4 hours in one day—and even then, I'd do no more than 2 hours in one sitting, with at least a 2-3 hour break between. Your brain can only take in so much new info and create so many new memories before it gets overwhelmed and tired. When you overload your brain, it creates poor memories (or no memories at all!), which of course negates the whole goal.

I think it's okay to do an intensive-study period for a very short period of time, sort of like an immersion language class. But again, I wouldn't do that for more than 3-5 days. So I'm going to give you permission this week to spend 4 to 6 (MAX) hours a day studying. But just this week, okay? :)

Once your internship starts:
    The internship is more important than your studies. Prioritize your internship.

Give yourself at least one day a week when you do no GMAT studies (one of the days that you're working).

Don't study 6 hours a day on weekends. 4 hours max, with no more than 2 hours in one sitting and a break of at least 2-3 hours between.

But really, first, go take another practice test. Let's see what we're actually dealing with and come up with a plan accordingly.

Finally, when you analyze that data: Go to a greater level of detail in your buckets, more specific than overall question types for V and overall content areas for quant. Something like:

Bucket 2: percents
Bucket 3: fractions and ratios

or

Bucket 2: RC specific detail; CR strengthen and weaken
Bucket 3: CR assumption and inference

I'd ask that of anyone, but it's especially true in your case, given the short timeframe.

Good luck on your practice test!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
MamounK350
Forum Guests

by MamounK350 Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:38 am

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this comprehensive answer.

Indeed, I took my practice test in late November and I had to suspend my studies for a month before starting again gradually towards the end of December 2022/beginning of January 2023.

I am aware that I am aiming for an ambitious goal and that it will be challenging. I know that the chances of achieving it are low but I still want to give it a try. My plan B would be to apply to business schools that require a lower GMAT score first, if I still manage to secure a good score around 700 by mid-February, and then to apply in the next round to business schools that require a GMAT score around 750, in order to make good progress towards my target score.

I'll take your advice to take another full-length practice test. I will take this one this weekend because I don't have 3 hours of continuous free time during the weekdays due to of my internship. Regarding the analysis of the data of my first CAT, I had gone to a higher level of analysis in my buckets at first, but it was written in the CAT tracker spreadsheet that the buckets had to be "high level" for the first CAT. So I relied on this advice. But I will definitely do as you mentioned for the next one.

Thanks again for your help!

Mamoun
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:37 pm

Ah, I see. If someone is on a more typical timeframe, then yes, it would be appropriate to say "algebra bucket 1; geometry bucket 2" or similar for the first test. But we need more detail in your case because your timeframe is so short.

Good luck on your next test!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep