Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Shark's tooth

by RonPurewal Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:34 am

well, "each one" definitely has to refer to the noun (spare teeth). but, yes, that modifier should also describe what's happening in the whole clause.

in this respect, the modifier behaves almost exactly like a "comma + __ing" modifier: it applies to the subject, but also to the entire action.
AskerY245
Prospective Students

by AskerY245 Fri May 15, 2015 4:36 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:well, "each one" definitely has to refer to the noun (spare teeth). but, yes, that modifier should also describe what's happening in the whole clause.

in this respect, the modifier behaves almost exactly like a "comma + __ing" modifier: it applies to the subject, but also to the entire action.

Hi Ron,

When I looked at this "each one", I treated it as an appositive clause.
"one" is the pron on the subject position, corresponds to the "many spare teeth", same on the subject position in the main clause. Therefore if we think one as a pron for teeth, it should be an appositive for teeth, following the explanation of the function of these teeth.

Do you think this sounds right?

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon May 18, 2015 7:40 am

sorry, i don't really understand what you are saying. too many big words for ron. (i don't mind looking up a single term, but when the entire question is a giant string of terminology... ron's brain says 'nope'.)

can you ask this question in simpler terms, please? (it would be especially helpful if you could replace the terminology with examples of what you're talking about.)

thanks.

if you have to use big words, then you don't understand what you're talking about.
--Douglas Osheroff, 1996 Nobel laureate in physics

examples are on your team. terminology is on the other team.
--Ron Purewal
sdfsdfsdfs481
Students

by sdfsdfsdfs481 Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:21 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:sorry, i don't really understand what you are saying. too many big words for ron. (i don't mind looking up a single term, but when the entire question is a giant string of terminology... ron's brain says 'nope'.)

can you ask this question in simpler terms, please? (it would be especially helpful if you could replace the terminology with examples of what you're talking about.)

thanks.

if you have to use big words, then you don't understand what you're talking about.
--Douglas Osheroff, 1996 Nobel laureate in physics

examples are on your team. terminology is on the other team.
--Ron Purewal

In the option (E)
In the shark's jaws, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve, each one ready to slide into the appropriate position whenever an active tooth is lost or worn down.

each one ... seems to be an appositive, and this appositive seems to modify the precedent word "reserve" rather than describing teeth.
I though structures such as", each ... ready" and "each one of which" modify the precedent word.

Can you explain the differences between structures such as", each ... ready" and "each one of which"? How to use them and which part they modify (or describe). Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:38 am

the structure in the correct answer works like the ones at this link:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... tml#p92358

i have no idea what it is called, but the terminology has no importance anyway. what's important is your ability to recognize the pattern.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:39 am

"each one of which" has the same restrictions as "which".

those are described here:
usage-of-which-t746-15.html#p104933

the same is true for
, of which
, in which
, all of which

and pretty much anything that is 'comma + blah blah which'.
mikalaisin
Students

by mikalaisin Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:13 am

Ron,
what about the structure two ICs should be linked using FANBOYS and comma otherwise semicolon must be used.
Keeping in mind this rule i picked D, since option E has multiple independent clauses.
Could you please comment why my reasoning is flawed?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:47 am

i'm sorry, but i don't know what any of that stuff means. ('IC'? 'FANBOYS'?)

please ask your question (a) without using fancy grammar terms and/or abbreviations, and (b) with examples. (if you think that choice E contains two xxxxxx's, then you should explicitly copy and paste exactly what you think those xxxxx's are.)

thanks.
mikalaisin
Students

by mikalaisin Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:57 am

RonPurewal Wrote:i'm sorry, but i don't know what any of that stuff means. ('IC'? 'FANBOYS'?)

please ask your question (a) without using fancy grammar terms and/or abbreviations, and (b) with examples. (if you think that choice E contains two xxxxxx's, then you should explicitly copy and paste exactly what you think those xxxxx's are.)

thanks.

Hi Ron, 
maybe you can help to clear our my understanding about connecting two independent clauses. My perception that two ICs can be connected only by either semicolon or FANBOYS (For, and, nor, but, or, yet, so)

We have :
When an active tooth in the shark’s jaws is lost or worn down, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve, - ICs 1
each of which are ready to slide into the appropriate position - 2nd ICs and they should be joined by semicolon or any FANBOYS preposition..

Thus we have two ICs, meaning that we need to have " and" or any other "fanboys" or we should use semicolon, but in this example it is not the case.

Can you please help me to grasp the understanding when should we use semicolon and colon to connect ICs based on this example?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:32 pm

please do not post the same question in multiple places. thank you.

https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... ml#p117236
aflaamM589
Students

by aflaamM589 Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Besides the errors mentioned in A and C, are they both not run on?
When an active tooth in the shark’s jaws is lost or worn down, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve ,each of which are ready to slide into the appropriate position

Many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve in the shark’s jaws, each one of which are ready to slide into the appropriate position when an active tooth is lost or worn down.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:23 pm

no.
there are two BIG things wrong with each of those—
• "(each of) which..." doesn't modify what it's supposed to modify,
• "each" (singular) is paired with a plural verb
—but they are not run-on sentences. each of them is written as complete sentence + modifier, which, theoretically, would be a valid sentence structure if the modifier were actually constructed correctly.
aflaamM589
Students

by aflaamM589 Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:48 am

Thank you Ron,
Is phraseology each one of which not incorrect in the first place?
each of which is correct, it also sounds correct.
each one also sounds correct
But, each one of which... seems not correct.
Can you guide on this one?
Many thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:49 am

that can be seen as redundant, since "each" already incorporates the meaning of "one".

so, if you see a CHOICE between "each of which" and "each one of which", then "each of which" is objectively better (it's more efficient, and it's not redundant) and you can eliminate "each one of which".
RichaChampion
Students

by RichaChampion Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Mr. Purewal, Thanks for the fantastic explanation. The incorrect usage of which/each of which/each one of which can be clearly used to eliminate wrong options choices, but I think for Non native speakers like me - The meaning issue - I mean this part will not come naturally -

RonPurewal Wrote:(a) and (b) have the wrong meaning: the placement of the "when"/"whenever" clause suggests that the teeth are only there when another tooth is lost or worn down.

You have done a 100% correct POST MORTEM of this problem with medical precision, but I have one doubt left Mr. Purewal in Option E -

E. In the shark's jaws, many spare teeth lie in seemingly limitless reserve, each one ready to slide into the appropriate position whenever an active tooth is lost or worn down.

Logically "each one(teeth)" refers to the teeth, but grammatically isn't it creating ambiguity? I mean grammatically can't each one refer to reserve, and, thus creating ambiguity?

I have one more subtle doubt - when refers to time frame, but whenever how is it used?

MY UNDERSTANDING OF WHENEVER =

I believe WHENEVER is used when there are multiple TIME instances that are possible - all instances are either true or false.

WHENEVER I give GMAT I score 700+ = ALWAYS TRUE situation in all the possible time instances.
WHENEVER I apply to Wharton, I face rejection = ALWAYS FALSE situation in all the possible time instances.

WHEREAS -
When refers to one time instance, Right?
Richa,
My GMAT Journey: 470 720 740
Target Score: 760+