Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.

SC: Though Frank Lloyd Wright is best remembered

by Guest Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:24 am

Though Frank Lloyd Wright is best remembered today because of bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum in New York City, most of his buildings were intended to blend into their surroundings.

a) because of bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum
b) for bold designs such as the one for the Guggenheim Museum
c) because of bold designs such as the Guggenheim Museum
d) because of bold designs such as that for the Guggenheim Museum
e) for bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum's

According to the explanation, answer D has a relative pronoun 'that' which lacks an antecedent. Does the same apply to 'one' in answer B? Why is 'one' the better pronoun to use in this case? What is the difference between 'one' and other pronouns (that, it, etc.)
rhombus

by rhombus Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:19 am

pls help explain this issue. It's my question as well
XIns

because Vs for

by XIns Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi,

I think the question is use of because vs for. The use of because is incorrect since it means " caused by" and qualifies "why". "For" qualifies "what " which is the design in this case. The option e is incorrect since it uses like which is use to compare but the author intends to exemplify. Hence, B is correct.

Hope this is helps.

Xins!
poojakrishnamurthy1

Pronoun Error

by poojakrishnamurthy1 Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:16 am

In (D), the singular "that" cannot be used as a pronoun to refer to the plural "bold designs". To be grammatically correct, plural "those" should be used to refer to plural "bold designs". This construction can never be correct on GMAT.

Hope this helps.
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:06 am

Pooja is right--it is really the singular/plural mismatch that disqualifies "that" in (D). Something like "...bold designs such as those for the Guggenheim Museum, Fallingwater, and Price Tower..." would be OK in another context. Here, using "the one" is the best way to single out the Guggenheim as one example of the many bold designs.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
victorgsiu

Re:

by victorgsiu Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:04 am

Guest Wrote:

The answer guide says:
(E) .... Moreover, the possessive construction "Guggenheim Museum's" is awkward and unidiomatic. ....

The SC Guide says the following is correct: "Matt drives fast cars like his sister's."

How are these two sentences different?
ritesh.bindal
Students

Re: SC: Though Frank Lloyd Wright is best remembered

by ritesh.bindal Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:55 pm

Even I brought down choices to B and E and finally selected E.

Though Frank Lloyd Wright is best remembered today because of bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum in New York City, most of his buildings were intended to blend into their surroundings.

a) because of bold designs like the Guggenheim Museum - Museum is compared with design. So this is wrong.
b) for bold designs such as the one for the Guggenheim Museum
c) because of bold designs such as the Guggenheim Museum Museum is compared with design. So this is wrong.
d) because of bold designs such as that for the Guggenheim Museum - Awkward and wordy.

Now between B and E, I thought that E is less wordy and conveying the same meaning as B. Please clarify why E is wrong.

Thanks,
Ritesh
caesar.indra

by caesar.indra Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:10 pm

This is an idiom issue. "x is remembered for y" is more idiomatic than "x is remembered because of." Because of is more appropriate to explain cause and effect.

B is better than E because the author intends to show an example of bold design, rather than to compare a bold design with something else. In this case, B is better because it uses "such as."

victorgsiu, to your question above, E is different from "Matt drives fast cars like his sister's" in the message the author tries to convey. The author here tries to show an example, instead of performing a comparison. In the SC Guide example, Matt drives a fast cars that are similar to those driven by his sister.

My 2 cents.

Caesar
NIKESH_PAHUJA
Forum Guests

by NIKESH_PAHUJA Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:04 pm

Quite a few problems with E.

1st, author intends to give examples of designs. Such as is better option . E uses like , which is used for comparison.

2nd, It is preferred to use possessives for living things, e.g. Franc's music. It is not advisable to use possessive for inanimate objects on GMAT.

Rest of the choices are wrong because they either use like or use because.

Also, one of the poster above said because means caused by. No. It is wrong to say this. Caused by is a synonym for due to, and is used when we can replace the two in the sentence literally

because is used purely for giving reason
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:56 am

it's incorrect, not just "awkward", to say "the guggenheim museum's in new york city". you can't use a possessive with an apostrophe ('s or s') if the noun is followed by modifiers.

for instance,
jim's reputation is more negative than the other man's --> correct
jim's reputation is more negative than the other man's on the committee --> incorrect
jim's reputation is more negative than that of the other man --> correct
jim's reputation is more negative than that of the other man on the committee --> correct

--

also, when you use the 's structure, it's not clear that we're talking about the design of the museum itself. (since "designs" is plural, this would more likely be taken to refer to the designs inside the museum - it is, after all, a museum).
t_n28
Students

by t_n28 Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:it's incorrect, not just "awkward", to say "the guggenheim museum's in new york city". you can't use a possessive with an apostrophe ('s or s') if the noun is followed by modifiers.

for instance,
jim's reputation is more negative than the other man's --> correct
jim's reputation is more negative than the other man's on the committee --> incorrect
jim's reputation is more negative than that of the other man --> correct
jim's reputation is more negative than that of the other man on the committee --> correct

--

also, when you use the 's structure, it's not clear that we're talking about the design of the museum itself. (since "designs" is plural, this would more likely be taken to refer to the designs inside the museum - it is, after all, a museum).

Hi Ron,
How does the following usage of possessive apostrophe in the following sentence relate to the rule you explained above?
"A traveler wrote about a seniors' bus tour which crossed into Canada at the Thousand Islands Bridge last September."
I feel that the sentence is correct and doesn't conflict with the rule but I just can't see how your rule is not applicable in this case. With your explanation, I'll be able to know when to apply that rule on my GMAT.
THANK YOU!!!
t_n28
Students

by t_n28 Sun May 02, 2010 9:14 pm

Would appreciate your help in regards to the question I asked above Ron.
Thank you!
mschwrtz
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mschwrtz Sun May 16, 2010 11:20 pm

In the sentence "A traveler wrote about a seniors' bus tour which crossed into Canada at the Thousand Islands Bridge last September," the possessive "seniors'" is not followed by a modifier, so the rule Ron invoked doesn't apply. In fact, "seniors'" itself modifies "bus tour." "Tour" is followed by a modifier, "which crossed into Canada at the Thousand Islands Bridge last September," but that's perfectly fine.
chitrangada.maitra
Course Students

by chitrangada.maitra Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:45 pm

[quote="t_n28"][quote="RonPurewal"]it's incorrect, not just "awkward", to say "the guggenheim museum's in new york city". you can't use a possessive with an apostrophe ('s or s') if the noun is followed by modifiers.

My question's are:

1. Option E does not have a modifier after 'museum's'
So, how is the usage of the apostrophe here different from that of the sentence quoted by victorsgiu

"Matt drives fast cars like his sister's."

2. Would the following be an acceptable option?
....because of bold designs such as those of the Guggenheim Museum

Thanks,
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:12 am

In answer to your question’s [sic]:
1. Totally wrong. Read the sentence. Museum’s is totally followed by a modifier. Prepositional phrases are ALWAYS modifiers..
2. I don’t like it. I’d prefer to see a complete subject and verb on both sides of the "because"; in other words, you’re pretty much not going to see "X happens because of Y" but rather "X happens because Y happens". The other modifications you’ve made to E are great though..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html