Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
jfsaine
Course Students

Rules of Sets

by jfsaine Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Are there absolutely no rules for:
- sums of even sets (except that this number will never be divisible by the count of numbers being summed)
- products of non-consecutive sets

Please show me the errors of my ways if you disagree with this statement/inquiry..
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Rules of Sets

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:35 am

i'm sorry; i'm not really sure what you're asking. could you please pose the question in more specific terms?

still, i'll attempt a couple of answers to what is here:

sums of even sets (except that this number will never be divisible by the count of numbers being summed)

not quite sure what you mean by "even sets".
if you just mean a set containing an even # of numbers, then the statement you've included in parentheses is not true. for instance, the set {4, 8, 12, 16} has four elements but is definitely divisible by 4.
if you mean a set containing an even number of CONSECUTIVE INTEGERS, than the statement that you have in parentheses will be true.

products of non-consecutive sets

again, i'm not quite sure what this means. in fact, in this case, it looks like it can basically mean any product, of just about anything (except consecutive integers).
if you are talking about something that general, then of course there will be no specific rules.
if you are actually asking a more specific question, then sorry for the misunderstanding; please elaborate.