Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
v_prbk
Students

Lengthy word translation in data sufficiency

by v_prbk Thu May 24, 2012 8:14 pm

Here is the problem from Question pack one

Last month Grace worked and was paid for, a total of x hours. Some of the hours were on day shift & some on night shift.Her hourly pay is 20% higher fro the night shift then the day shift. How many hours did Grace work on the day shift last month

1) X =55

2) Grace's pay for the hours she worked on dayshift last month was exactly 50% of her total gross pay for last month

Using three variables i.e one for day shift hours the other i.e X for total hours & the hourly wage rate I am able to solve this problem but it takes over 4 minutes. Is there any shorter way of solving this
tim
Course Students

Re: Lengthy word translation in data sufficiency

by tim Mon May 28, 2012 12:39 am

of course - don't solve it! :) once you realize you have enough information to solve for what you need you can stop solving at that point. that's the beauty of data sufficiency..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
rkafc81
Course Students

by rkafc81 Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:08 pm

hi Tim - can you please explain how you would know you have enough info to solve this problem? there's a lot going on in it and i dont feel comfotrable to just be able to look at this one and deduce i do/don't have enough info?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:00 am

v_prbk Wrote:Here is the problem from Question pack one

Last month Grace worked and was paid for, a total of x hours. Some of the hours were on day shift & some on night shift.Her hourly pay is 20% higher fro the night shift then the day shift. How many hours did Grace work on the day shift last month

1) X =55

2) Grace's pay for the hours she worked on dayshift last month was exactly 50% of her total gross pay for last month

Using three variables i.e one for day shift hours the other i.e X for total hours & the hourly wage rate I am able to solve this problem but it takes over 4 minutes. Is there any shorter way of solving this

well, you should be able to tell pretty quickly that the two individual statements are insufficient.
1/ these 55 hours could be divided up in any way at all.
2/ this is just a ratio, with no indication of any absolute number of hours. so it's going to determine, at most, some ratio of day- to night-shift hours, but it won't let you figure an actual number (as required in the problem).

so, let's combine the statements.

no need for three variables. we have a total of 55 hours, so you can split that into x hours on the day shift and (55 - x) hours on the night shift.
for the wage, let's say W dollars/hour for the day shift. then the night shift wage is 20% more than this, or 1.2W per hour. (you can actually pick a number for the wage here, but picking constant values is a risky proposition in DS problems.)
so you have x hours at W dollars/hour, and (55 - x) hours at 1.2W dollars/hour.
that's a total of xW + (55 - x)(1.2W) = xW + 66W - 1.2xW
= 66W - 0.2xW dollars.
the pay for day shift is xW dollars.
therefore:
xW = 50% of (66W - 0.2xW)
xW = 33W - 0.1xW
x = 33 - 0.1x
this is an equation you can solve, so, you're done. (c).