Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
aljumaily.anas
Forum Guests

Is the positive integer p even?

by aljumaily.anas Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:12 am

I recently took the diagnostic CAT and I can't wrap my finger around a question I got wrong. The name of the question is "Even Steven" by the way. The DS style question says,

Is the positive integer p even?

(1) p^2 + p is even.
(2) 4p + 2 is even.

I answered A because any number that is squared, then added to itself and results in an even number MUST be even. The correct answer seems to have been E because, and I quote
"p^2 + p can be factored, resulting in p(p + 1). This expression equals the product of two consecutive integers and we are told that this product is even. In order to make the product even, either p or p + 1 must be even, so p(p + 1) will be even regardless of whether p is odd or even. Alternatively, we can try numbers. For p = 2, 2(2 + 1) = 6. For p = 3, 3(3 + 1) = 12. So, when p(p + 1) is even, p can be even or odd."

I don't fully understand how this expression was factored and moreover, if I take the two cases the explanation laid out, 2 and 3, and plug them back into the original unfactored expression, I will only get an even result when I use the number 2.

2 Case) 2^2+2=6 EVEN
3 Case) 3^2+2=11 ODD

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Is the positive integer p even?

by RonPurewal Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:25 am

The original un-factored expression is p^2 + p. You seem to be using p^2 + 2 instead.

Plugging in 3 gives 9 + 3 = 12, which is indeed even.
aljumaily.anas
Forum Guests

by aljumaily.anas Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Indeed I was. One of those moments. Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:37 am

These things, they happen.

Remember the specific type of expression on which this happened. If a pattern crops up"”i.e., if you do the same thing on the same kind of expression again"”then just pay extra attention to such things in the future.
Really no different from paying extra attention to some obstacle that you'd otherwise keep bumping into.