integer

by vietst Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:08 am

Is the integer n odd?
1. n is divisible by 3
2. 2n is divisible by twice as many positive integers as n
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:35 pm

It's generally more useful if you tell us what you struggled with so that we can target our answer to your needs.

n is an integer
is n odd?
yes/no question, so I will try to prove it wrong (that is, get a yes and a no based upon the statements)

(1) n/3
n could be 6 (that is divisible by 3). Is n odd? No
n could be 9 (that is divisible by 3). Is n odd? Yes
Elim A and D

(2) 2n has twice as many factors as n
n could be 1, which has one factor; 2n would be 2, which has two factors; is n odd? Yes
n could be 2, which has two factors; 2n would be 4, which has three factors. Oops, can't use this combo of numbers (has to make statement 2 true, and this combo doesn't)

What's going on here?
general rule: 2n will be divisible by 2 and also by whatever number 2n is.
If I make n an even number, even numbers are already divisible by 2. So 2n will only be divisible by one new number, equal to 2n. That is, I add only one new factor for 2n. [editor: there's a mistake in this explanation - see below for a correction]
Any even number, by definition, has at least two factors - 1 and 2. So I would need to add at least two more factors to double the number of factors. But I can't - the setup of statement 2 only allows me to add one new factor if n is even. So I can never make statement 2 true using an even number for n.

Sufficient. Answer is B.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
vietst

by vietst Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:50 am

Stacey Koprince
Thanks
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:37 pm

no problem!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
goelmohit2002
Students

Re: integer

by goelmohit2002 Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:23 am

Hi Stacey,

Probably I am missing something here...but if you take the example number 52.

Here 52 is divisible by 1, 2, 4, 13, 26. [editor: 52 is also divisible by 52 itself.]

But 104 is divisible by 1, 2, 4, 8, 13, 26, 52, 104

Thus it is not that only one extra is added when multiplied by 2.....there can be more too...

Thanks
Mohit
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:37 pm

goelmohit2002 Wrote:Hi Stacey,

Here 52 is divisible by 1, 2, 4, 13, 26. [editor: 52 is also divisible by 52 itself.]

Thus it is not that only one extra is added when multiplied by 2.....there can be more too...

Thanks
Mohit

very true. good catch.

here's a revised version:

let's say a number has "n" different factors.
when you multiply this number by 2, you POTENTIALLY create "n" MORE factors - by doubling each factor.
HOWEVER,
the only way that ALL of these factors can be NEW (i.e., not already listed in the original n factors) is if they are ALL ODD.
if there are ANY even factors to start with, then those factors will be repeated in the original list. (for instance, note that 2, 4, 26, and 52 all appear in both lists above.) therefore, if the number is even, then the number of factors will be less than doubled because of the repeat factors.

thus if statement (2) is true, then the number must be odd.
goelmohit2002
Students

by goelmohit2002 Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:32 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
goelmohit2002 Wrote:Hi Stacey,

Thanks
Mohit

very true. good catch.

here's a revised version:

let's say a number has "n" different factors.
when you multiply this number by 2, you POTENTIALLY create "n" MORE factors - by doubling each factor.
HOWEVER,
the only way that ALL of these factors can be NEW (i.e., not already listed in the original n factors) is if they are ALL ODD.
if there are ANY even factors to start with, then those factors will be repeated in the original list. (for instance, note that 2, 4, 26, and 52 all appear in both lists above.) therefore, if the number is even, then the number of factors will be less than doubled because of the repeat factors.

thus if statement (2) is true, then the number must be odd.

Thanks Ron !!!
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Ben Ku Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:14 am

Glad it helped!
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
gsingh058
Students

by gsingh058 Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:36 am

ist statement, If n=0, then n is divided by 3 but it is even. so answer is No. Can we consider n=0 for such division ?

2nd Statement : We can't consider n=0 becasue '2n=0" is divisble my all the positive integer (more than twice) but the statements says, n shall be divided by twice as many positive integer.

Is the above reasoning to choose n=0 in the 1st statement and not to choose n=0 in the 2nd statement is correct ?

Gagan
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:07 am

gsingh058 Wrote:ist statement, If n=0, then n is divided by 3 but it is even. so answer is No. Can we consider n=0 for such division ?

2nd Statement : We can't consider n=0 becasue '2n=0" is divisble my all the positive integer (more than twice) but the statements says, n shall be divided by twice as many positive integer.

Is the above reasoning to choose n=0 in the 1st statement and not to choose n=0 in the 2nd statement is correct ?

Gagan

technically, yes, but the gmat will definitely NOT test you on the divisibility properties of 0 or negative numbers. you will only be tested on divisibility for positive numbers.

so, these things are interesting curiosities, but don't dwell excessively on them.