Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
Luci

In the figure shown, point O is the center of

by Luci Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:13 pm

I understand why B is sufficient. While both triangles are isosceles and we know BCO is 40º using the exterior angle rule BAO must be 20º

But how do we know A is sufficient? Using the rule again if we know that COD is 60º we know the oposite angles will sum 60º as well, but since ACO is not isosceles, how do we know the proportion between them?

Any help?

Thanks
GMAT 2007

by GMAT 2007 Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:21 am

We know AOD is a straight line -

Angle(AOB) + Angle(BOC) + Angle(COD) = 180---(1)
We know Angle(AOB) = Angle(BAO)---(2) Because(AB = OB)

Substitute in (1)

Angle(BAO) + Angle(BOC) + Angle(COD) = 180
Also, Angle(BOC) = 180-2(Angle(OBC)) Because OB = OC (Radii of Circle)

Substitute in (1)
Angle(BAO) + 180 - 2(Angle(OBC)) + Angle(COD) = 180

Also, in Triangle BAO, Angle OBC is the exterior angle so Angle(OBC) = Angle(BAO) + Angle(BOA) (Exterior angle is equal to the sum of the opposite angles)

So Angle(OBC) = 2(Angle(BAO)) ---from (2)

substitute it back in (1)

Angle(BAO) + 180 - 4Angle(BAO) + Angle(COD) = 180

We know Angle (COD) already so, (A) is also sufficient.

Hope it helps

GMAT 2007
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:38 pm

This one's tough to show without the ability to draw. Try following through GMAT 2007's approach, above, or mine, below, while drawing at every step so you can see what's going on.

Re-draw just the straight lines - ignore the arc of the semi-circle. Label COD 60. Label BAO and BOA with a variable (I'll use "a") and label CBO and BCO with another variable (I'll use "b").

Use that info to label ABO. I know that AC = 180, so ABO = 180-b. That's part of a small triangle, which I can write: a+a+(180-b) = 180 which simplifies to 2a - b = 0

I know using the exterior angle rule that COD = BAO + BCO (look at the big triangle only). Given my labels, I can re-write that equation as: a+b = 60.

I can now combine the two equations.
2a - b = 0
a+b = 60
Substitute however you want, but solve for a, not b (since that's what you are asked to find).
2a = b and b = 60-a, so 2a = 60-a. 3a=60. a = 20.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Luci

by Luci Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Thank you guys, great explanations. I think Stacey´s is easier, because it is more direct. Although I think GMAT 2007 is going to perform terrific in the quant part because he/she solves the toughest problems :-)

Thanks again.

Luci
rschunti

Pls clarify

by rschunti Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:26 pm

In this figure what is the reason of beleiving that "Line aegment "ABC" is a straight line?It could be possible that Line segments "AB" and "BC" may not be colinear as nothing is mentioned in this question that proves this.?Pls can you clarify the reason why we are assuming that ABC is a straight line?
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Pls clarify

by RonPurewal Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:54 am

rschunti Wrote:In this figure what is the reason of beleiving that "Line aegment "ABC" is a straight line?It could be possible that Line segments "AB" and "BC" may not be colinear as nothing is mentioned in this question that proves this.?Pls can you clarify the reason why we are assuming that ABC is a straight line?

collinearity, and for that matter linearity in general, is one of the few things that you are allowed to assume on the gmat. the reason is pretty utilitarian: if you couldn't assume that things that look like straight lines are actually straight lines, then no diagram would ever be useful! (imagine if that cute little triangle in your diagram might turn out to be a heptagon... you get the picture)
mclaren7

by mclaren7 Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Dear friends

AB = OC = OB

Angle BAO = Angle BOA = X
Angle ABO = 180 - 2X, therefore angle CBO = 2x.
since OC = OB angle CBO = angle BCO = 2X, angle BOC = 180 - 4X
Therefore angle COD = 180 - (180-4X) - X = 3X

1: angle COD = 3x = 60 , X = 20 angle BAO = 20 <== sufficient
2: angle BCO = 2x = 40 , X = 20 angle BAO = 20 <== sufficient

KH
iharden
Students

Re: In the figure shown, point O is the center of

by iharden Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:31 pm

Another Way!

1)
BAO = BOA = x
OBC = BCO = 2x
OAC + ACO = COD
x + 2x = 60
x = 20
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:08 am

iharden Wrote:Another Way!

1)
BAO = BOA = x
OBC = BCO = 2x
OAC + ACO = COD
x + 2x = 60
x = 20

this is correct, although, if you're going to go to the trouble of posting it on the forum, a few words of explanation would go a long way.
i.e., right now there's no explanation for these steps, so this solution will only make sense to people who already know how to solve the problem.

--

nice three-and-a-half-year thread bump, by the way. you must be a champion at searching the forum.
hifunda_88
Students

by hifunda_88 Sat May 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Ron, come on! You must know we come to MGMAT forums all the time when searching for GMATPrep explanations from Google right? (Whether it's 2008 or 2012)

:)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 20, 2012 3:15 am

hifunda_88 Wrote:Ron, come on! You must know we come to MGMAT forums all the time when searching for GMATPrep explanations from Google right? (Whether it's 2008 or 2012)

right, but it's also a surprise that google would turn up a thread that hasn't had a response in years. unless you guys are actually scrolling past the first page on google (which hardly anyone ever does, pretty much ever).
aakashg.0
Students

by aakashg.0 Thu May 31, 2012 1:51 am

any thread where you have posted, ron, is usually the first result
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:07 am

Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
jedy
Forum Guests

by jedy Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Good evening,

In the task it's never stated that A,B,C lie on the same line, however semicircle is mentioned. Though picture shows them to be lying on the same line. The question is, can I trust GMAT diagrams to be truthful in this regard? Because the fact that these points do lie on the same line is essential to solve the task.

Thank you in advance.

PS. Google turns up your site as 1st for almost all GMAT questions. Extremly convinient!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:47 am

jedy Wrote:The question is, can I trust GMAT diagrams to be truthful in this regard? Because the fact that these points do lie on the same line is essential to solve the task.

yes, you can trust that straight lines in diagrams actually represent straight lines.

(think about it -- if you couldn't trust at least this aspect of a diagram, then all diagrams would be pretty much useless. if things that look like straight lines could actually have curves or corners, then something that appears to be a triangle might actually be, e.g., an octagon, or something)