Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
rschunti

In a certain year the United Nations’ total expenditures wer

by rschunti Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:12 pm

In a certain year the United Nations’ total expenditures were $1.6billion. Of this amount, 67.8 percent was paid by the 6 highest-contributing countries, and the balance was paid by the remaining 153 countries. Was Country X among the 6 highest-contributing countries?

1) 56 percent of the total expenditures was paid by the 4 highest-contributing countries, each of which paid more than Country X.

2) Country X paid 4.8 percent of the total expenditures.

What is the best approach to solve this question quickly?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:02 am

first, realize that the $1.6bn figure is irrelevant, since everything else in the problem is stated purely in terms of percentages. therefore, you should concentrate only on percentages.

(2) alone
- to try to make country x NOT in the top six, distribute the percentages as evenly as possible: it's possible that each of the six highest-contributing countries paid 67.8/6 = 11.3 percent of the total. if that were the case, then country x, at 4.8%, would be lower than sixth place.
- to try to get country x INTO the top six, make the distribution as lopsided as possible: say one country paid 60% of everything. then country x could be second at 4.8%, and the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th place countries could combine to pay 67.8 - 64.8%.
INSUFFICIENT

(1) alone
taken alone, this condition only tells you that country x is in fifth place or lower.
INSUFFICIENT

(together)
the fifth- and sixth-place countries together paid out 67.8 - 56 = 11.8 percent of the total. at this point the strategy is roughly the same as for statement (2) alone:
- to try to make country x NOT in the top six, distribute the percentages as evenly as possible: the fifth- and sixth-place countries could both have contributed 11.8/2 = 5.9 percent. this would mean country x = not in the top six.
- to try to get country x INTO the top six, let the fifth-place country pay 11.8 - 4.8 = 7 percent; therefore country x is in sixth place.
INSUFFICIENT

answer = e
ashish.jere
Students

Re: In a certain year the United Nations’ total expenditures wer

by ashish.jere Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:21 pm

Thanks Ron.
Ben Ku
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by Ben Ku Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:29 pm

Glad it helped!
Ben Ku
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
pratik.munjal
Forum Guests

by pratik.munjal Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:29 pm

Ron, is there a specific reason, that you've evaluated st. 2 first and then st. 1?

Is it just for this question, or is that your, um...style? :)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:08 am

pratik.munjal Wrote:Ron, is there a specific reason, that you've evaluated st. 2 first and then st. 1?

Is it just for this question, or is that your, um...style? :)

i am lazy; statement 2 has fewer words.
pratik.munjal
Forum Guests

by pratik.munjal Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:02 pm

i am lazy; statement 2 has fewer words.

:) I doubt that!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:00 am

pratik.munjal Wrote:i am lazy; statement 2 has fewer words.

:) I doubt that!

serious.
pratik.munjal
Forum Guests

by pratik.munjal Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:15 pm

Now I doubt it all the more--you've posted 2 days before Christmas! So you aren't lazy at all. Anyway, Merry X Mas to the Manhattan Trainers team!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:33 pm

pratik.munjal Wrote:Now I doubt it all the more--you've posted 2 days before Christmas! So you aren't lazy at all. Anyway, Merry X Mas to the Manhattan Trainers team!

well, i have a lot more time to post during the holidays.

i actually enjoy posting here, so i don't count it as "work" in considering the laziness equation. perhaps that's the secret -- i'm fortunate enough to like my work, so i can do a lot of it because it doesn't feel like "work".

in any case, we should probably end this particular side discussion at this point, so as not to clutter up the thread. happy holidays, whatever holidays you observe.