Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
CurtisVincentBorns
Forum Guests

For the students in class A, the range of

by CurtisVincentBorns Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:23 pm

For the students in class A, the range of their heights is r centimeters and the greatest height is g centimeters. For the students in class B, the range of their heights is s centimeters and the greatest height is h centimeters. Is the least height of the students in class A greater than the least height of the students in class b?

(1) r<s
(2) g>h

Correct Answer: C.

My logic
1. Statement 1 insufficient, just because the range of class A heights is lower than the range of class B heights does not mean that the least height of students in class A is or is not greater than the least height of students in class B

example:
class A range 60-66 cm (smaller range), class b range 45-55 (larger range) or
class A range 45-55 cm (smaller range), class b range 55-70 cm (larger range)

So 1 is insufficient

2. Statement 2 is insufficient, just because the greatest height of class A is greater than the greatest height of class B, does not mean that the least height of students in class A is or is not greater than the least height of students in class B

example:
Class A g = 65 cm and Class B h = 60 cm but the rest of Class A could be 40 cm tall, and the same could be said for class B

3. Both together (the answer)
The reason why I did not think that C was not the answer because if we take both statements we know that class A has the tallest student and the smallest range.
but when the question states "Is the least height of the students in class A greater than the least height of the students in class b?" this makes me think its not the single smallest student in either class, since it says students I'm thinking more than one, like the average of the smallest students in A versus the average of the smallest students in B. And if we take both statements together this is not sufficient...

Did I miss this problem just because I misunderstood the wording of the question? Is it just asking for the single smallest student in each class?
tim
Course Students

Re: For the students in class A, the range of

by tim Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:06 am

yes, it is just asking for the single shortest student in each class. and if you know the tallest student and the range, you subtract those to get the shortest student..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
CurtisVincentBorns
Forum Guests

by CurtisVincentBorns Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:54 pm

tim Wrote:yes, it is just asking for the single shortest student in each class. and if you know the tallest student and the range, you subtract those to get the shortest student..

Wow I guess I have to be a little more careful when reading the questions. I cant help but feel they could have worded that a little more concise and clear....
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:51 am

CurtisVincentBorns Wrote:Wow I guess I have to be a little more careful when reading the questions. I cant help but feel they could have worded that a little more concise and clear....

nah, the wording of this one is quite clear. in particular, "the least height" is singular, so there's no doubt about the fact that we are looking for exactly one height.

there are, of course, other possible wordings -- for instance, "the height of the shortest student..." -- but the existence of alternatives doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the present version.