Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
tgt.ivyleague
Students

Consolidated Maths Formulae

by tgt.ivyleague Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:13 pm

Hi there .....

At the very outset i must first apologize for creating a new topic ......... However, having gained access to this site only today and due to paucity of time, i find myself a little challenged in sifting though the vast material and info here !! ..... Hence the New Topic !!!

Since i take my Exam in the next 4-weeks, i am short of time and am desperately looking for a Consolidated Maths Formulae sheet/book/pdf/doc that has got a summary of ALL the imp formulas that are essential for cracking the GMAT.

I will be immensely indebted if I could be given some kind of a help/guidance in this regard.

Thanks in advance ............

Regards ......Sam
tgt.ivyleague
Students

Re: Consolidated Maths Formulae

by tgt.ivyleague Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:25 pm

Is there no one who can help me out here !?!?!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:19 am

well, one option that you have is to pick through our strategy guides, sorting out the formulas that you don't already know. we don't have any sort of consolidated sheet of formulas.

make sure that you know that formulas are only the starting point. the gmat is intentionally written in a way that will destroy people who just memorize formulas and don't THINK about the problems -- so make sure that you understand not only the formulas themselves, but also:
* when to use them
* when NOT to use them
* any restrictions under which they must be used (e.g., the pythagorean theorem is only good for right triangles)
* any restrictions under which they CAN'T be used

good luck.

by the way, i'm going to move this discussion to the general folder; this is not the folder in which it should be posted (this folder is for GMAT PREP MATH problems only).
tgt.ivyleague
Students

by tgt.ivyleague Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:13 pm

Dear Ron,
Thanks for your reply ..... Do appreciate it !!

I have all your MGMAT books BUT was hoping if there was a consolidated version of the formulae.

Thanks for the caution on their usage. I require the list ONLY to brush up my memory once in the morning .... Totally agree with u that they CANNOT be used without applying one's mind!!

Also,
I am very sorry for the incorrect location of the post. Have just joined the online forum so finding it difficult to move around here presently. Also, since I give my exam on the 22nd of this month, I do not have the time to understand the complete interface here. My humble apologies. However, i will try my best to conform to the rules and locations.
Please do change this thread to the correct location by all means.

Regards ..... Sam
mschwrtz
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mschwrtz Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:47 am

Hey Sam,

Here's what I'd recommend, adopting and adapting a tool that I know Ron sometimes uses with students in private tutoring: For every question you miss, every question that takes too long, every question that seems weird to you, make a note of the critical action the question required, and how you might have known to take that action.

THE NEXT TIME I SEE

I WILL

For instance,
THE NEXT TIME I SEE
that one large group is divided according to two overlapping criteria
I WILL
use a double-set matrix

My bet is that you'll end up recording more exceptions than rules, though.

I'm not usually much of a flashcard guy, but you could very usefully put these on flashcards for quick review.

The problem here is that it'll likely be difficult for you to prescribe the right action yourself, without the sort of help that I know Ron offers in tutoring.

As I said, I've adapted a tool here, so Ron's obviously not responsible for my suggestion. Ron, don't hide your lamp behind a bushel if you have some thoughts on this.