Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
jp.jprasanna
Students

Re: Circle C and line k lie in the xy-plane. If circle C

by jp.jprasanna Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:00 am

Hi

Option 2 says slope of the line is -1/10,

Please correct me if of the below points / understanding wrong.

1. since the slope of the line is negative we now know that it has to pass through 2 and 4 the quadrant.

2. Slope is -ve and 1/10 so y = 1 and x = 10 so the line pass through (0,1) and (10, 0)

3 .So we can conclude that the line K touches the circle at (0,1) since the radius of the circle is 1 and it doesn't intersect the circle at any point - hence a definite NO? - Please please let know whats wrong with my logic!?

4. Statement 1 is NS because the line could be parallel to x axis so without know the y intercept we can really say....

Cheers
Jp
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:12 am

jp.jprasanna Wrote:Hi

Option 2 says slope of the line is -1/10,

Please correct me if of the below points / understanding wrong.

1. since the slope of the line is negative we now know that it has to pass through 2 and 4 the quadrant.

2. Slope is -ve and 1/10 so y = 1 and x = 10 so the line pass through (0,1) and (10, 0)

3 .So we can conclude that the line K touches the circle at (0,1) since the radius of the circle is 1 and it doesn't intersect the circle at any point - hence a definite NO? - Please please let know whats wrong with my logic!?

4. Statement 1 is NS because the line could be parallel to x axis so without know the y intercept we can really say....

Cheers
Jp

OK I see the problem now

Since slope is basically a ratio we cant really pin down the point it intersects the x and y axis correct?

Lets say the radius of the circle is 5

All the below have a slope of -1/10 but

x intercept = 5 and y intercept = .5 slope = - 5/.5 = -1/10
intersect with the circle of radius 5

x intercept = 10 and y intercept = 1 slope = = -1/10
intersect with the circle of radius 5

x intercept = 20 and y intercept = 2 slope = -1/10
DOESN'T intersect with the circle of radius 5

So only we have the equation of the line we can determine where exactly it is intersecting with x and y hence the slope... the converse as show above with the slope = -1/10 we cannot really say where the line is passing through

So using the slope we can only say which direction the line is moving! -ve slope will pass thro' 2 and 4 quadrant (can't comment about 1 and 3 unless we are given more info) and vice versa! Or is there anything else we can decipher more from a of a line slope?

Dear Instructors PLEASE HELP!

Cheers
Jp
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:25 pm

Correct! Just knowing the slope of the problem does not tell us anything about its actual location on this coordinate plane. If the slope is -1/10, that means that the line moves down 1 for every 10 it moves over. It *may* be passing through this circle, which is centered at the origin, or it may pass through the y intercept much higher or lower. Try drawing this picture and experimenting with where this line can pass through the y intercept. We really have no idea from this problem. Insufficient.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
denis.tolkachev
Course Students

by denis.tolkachev Sat May 26, 2012 11:13 am

Hi,

I had another question on this problem. Why are (i) and (ii) together are not sufficient?

(i) states that the x-intercept of line k is greater than 1. Doesn't (i) and (ii) together mean that k is then defined as y=-1/10x + b, where b is >1.

When i am plugging various numbers for b and x, i get to (x,y) that show me a line that DOES NOT cross the circle, which means that (C) should be sufficient.

What am i missing?

Thank you,

Denis
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon May 28, 2012 4:04 am

just because some numbers you plug in give you a line that doesn't cross the circle, that doesn't mean ALL numbers give a line that crosses the circle. try b=1/2 for instance. remember, you can't conclude that a statement is sufficient just because *some* numbers you plug in give the same answer to the question..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
gmatwork
Course Students

by gmatwork Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:21 am

Will a tangent to a circle considered to intersect a circle?
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:11 am

yes, but only in one point
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
gmatwork
Course Students

by gmatwork Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:50 am

Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:58 am

erpriyankabishnoi Wrote:Thanks!

glad we could help