Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
HemantR606
Students

Although vs. whereas

by HemantR606 Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:41 am

Hi Ron,

Here is a question from a paid GMAC software which has two options which are similar to the following sentences:

(Sentences are modified to avoid copyright issues)

A. Whereas job roles are clearly defined in more established industries, in the internet industry they are unclear and indistinct as employees that design one day may be programmers the other day.

B. Although job roles are clearly defined in industries that are more established, they are unclear and indistinct in the internet industry, as designers one day may be programmers the other day.

'A' is the right option.

The only issue as far as I can identify is the change in the word 'whereas' to 'although'.

I think 'although' is not the right word here because the sentence doesn't show any cause and relation, but it just shows a contrast. I mean the second sentence is not connected to the first sentence.

For example,
Correct: Although Kobe Bryant won 5 championships, Lebron James is a better player.
Incorrect: Whereas Kobe Bryant won 5 championships, Lebron James is a better player.

Correct: Whereas Kobe Bryant won 5 championships, Carmelo Anthony is yet to win a championship.
Incorrect: Although Kobe Bryant won 5 championships, Carmelo Anthony is yet to win a championship.

In the first sentence, there is a relationship between the 2 sentences because championships represents a player's greatness. Hence 'Although'.
In the second example, there is no direct relation between the 2 sentences. Hence 'whereas'.

Please let me know if I am right.

Thanks a lot.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Although vs. whereas

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:32 am

* parallelism:
more established industries || internet industry = clearly superior
industries that are more established || internet industry = clearly inferior

* modifier:
one day should describe an ACTION.
this happens in choice A (employees who DESIGN one day). it doesn't happen in choice B.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Although vs. whereas

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:36 am

i also discussed 'although' vs. 'whereas' here:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/foru ... ml#p112922

since facts about one player do not create any sort of expectation about the other player, you would want 'whereas' in both of those examples.

*** READ THE LINK AT YOUR OWN RISK ***
... NO sc problem will EVER depend on such a small difference
... if learning more about 'although'/'whereas' would MAKE YOU THINK ABOUT SUCH A SMALL THING BEFORE CONSIDERING FUNDAMENTALS SUCH AS PARALLELISM, then DO NOT read the link.

you should NEVER think about small differences before thinking about bigger / more fundamental ones. never ever ever. (did i mention never?)