Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
alexei600
Course Students

Re: A company has two types of machines, type R and type S

by alexei600 Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:09 pm

I am sorry.
I have set up rtd chart. The rate of machine"R" 1/36 and the rate of "S" is 1/18. I summed the rates up to get 1/12. then multiplied by 2 ( hours), and got 1/6. The question is how I get 6 machines form from 1/6 ( 1 job 6 hours)
Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:13 am

this is the problem:

alexei600 Wrote:then multiplied by 2 ( hours), and got 1/6.

that's a misinterpretation of what you should do with the "2 hours" part.
the post says that the machines together can "do the job in 2 hours"; this means that the overall rate is 1/2. (this is what you do whenever you are given that someone/something can "do 1 job in x hours"; you write "rate = 1/x".)

so, the deal is (1/12) * N = 1/2
N = 6
so, you have 6 of each machine.
jmiceli0819
Students

by jmiceli0819 Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:43 pm

great answers everyone. i just had one question i was hoping someone could answer; i approached the question by taking the combined time ... 12 hours for R & S to complete the task (1 of each) so in essence i thought if we had two it would take 6 hours ... 3 it would take 3 hours ... and so forth ... obviously the answer is wrong but can anyone explain why its wrong? thanks!
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:10 pm

jmiceli0819 Wrote:great answers everyone. i just had one question i was hoping someone could answer; i approached the question by taking the combined time ... 12 hours for R & S to complete the task (1 of each) so in essence i thought if we had two it would take 6 hours ... 3 it would take 3 hours ... and so forth ... obviously the answer is wrong but can anyone explain why its wrong? thanks!

You're on the right track here.

One R and one S machine can do the job in 12 hours.
Two R and two S machines can do the job in 6 hours.
Four R and four S machines can do the job in 3 hours.
(Notice that by doubling the number of machines I halve the amount of time needed to do the job, as you correctly concluded earlier.)

Okay, so we're close now. Four R machines can do the job in 3 hours (assuming equal number of S machines also working as stated in the problem). However, we want the work done in 2 hours, not 3.

Let's set up an equation: 4 (R machines) * 3 hours = x (R machines) * 2 hours.

We solve for x and it is 6. Thus, 6 R machines are needed to get the job done in 2 hours (obviously along with 6 S machines).
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor